Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Vintage Look

Real Name
    Myra

Vintage Look

I think I am on the right track with this; however, I KNOW it could be better and someone will show me how to make it so The purpose of this exercise was to emulate the look of turn of the century photos. I like their soft pink hand painted touches.

I've included the before (First Communion of a friend's daughter taken in the lushly green backyard) and the after (selected RGB and inverted the selection then applied a solid colour layer followed by a selective colour layer.Soft light mode worked best for me.

BEFORE

Vintage Look
    771b by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

AFTER

Vintage Look
    771 b by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Real Name
    John

Re: Vintage Look

Hi myra,
    I'm do not have the experiance to give you any advice here; but I'm sure the 'troops' will.

I just wanted to say I like the re-work; to me it does give a feeling of a by-gone age.
    Well done.

Myra you have done a masterful job. The change from original to final is great. I think you have hit your mark for a vintage look. My only suggestion would be a bit (ever so slight) bit more pink in the ribbon.

Thanks
    Ryo

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Myra,

When I saw your thread title, I intentionally looked at the images without reading your post. That's because I didn't want to be influenced by your intentions. It was immediately clear to me that you had achieved the hand-painted look. Wonderful job!

Real Name
    Myra

Thank you, all! My daughter (the ever critical one who likes nothing I photograph ) thought the young lady`s legs and arms looked too pink. I was a bit unhappy with my attempt at vignetting. I ran the jpeg back through ACR for that. Sometimes I just use the Lens Correction feature, but that wasn`t doing the trick. It was fun to try. I`ll have to try it another time and see if I can get close to the same results. I imagine there are actions out there that will do this, but figuring it out is sometimes more fun