Thread: Curves, Lines and Angles

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Curves, Lines and Angles

I took these shots of a suspension bridge in the Brisbane suburb of Indooroopilly a little while ago and have been fiddling with pp work on and off to try and find the best presentation. But I'm not too sure about any of them so I thought I would seek your opinion on composition and colour vs B&W.

Thanks, Dave

Curves, Lines and Angles

Curves, Lines and Angles

Curves, Lines and Angles

Curves, Lines and Angles

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Curves, Lines and Angles

Hi Dave,Colour or B & W work for me, both are good.
    I do prefer the shots where the main support cables are evenly placed where they merge into the front arch.
    The other way seems to unbalance the photo to me.
    Perhaps if you could clone out the 60K speed sign and if there is a way of cropping out the shadow at the bottom of shot might improve the photo.
    I find both these don't add anything to the image..
    Great photo and worth working on.
    Cheers Greg

Real Name
    Eugen

It's a nice image Dave and I like it. I think both the colour and BW work in this case. For BW, personally I think it would benefit from a better contrast to bring some blacks in the pic.
    Unfortunately, the arch doesn't really work for me neither the shadow in the lower part. Personally I would crop them.

I might be wrong and others might disagree with me so, take my advice with a grain of salt

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Curves, Lines and Angles
    This last one in the series is the one that comes closest for me. I think it's better proportioned and more balanced and the tones across the image are better. The other B & W is a bit 'flat'. I think it's because, in this one, the tower/pier is a lighter tone. that lifts it more.

I do wonder, though, if we could do without that shadow on the road just at the bottom of the image. What would it be like of you were to crop that, so that we start from the bottom with just the shadow of the suspension cables on the right?

And, not that you can do anything with this image, I think what would really have strengthened it would have been if you'd stood right in the middle of the road, got it perfectly symmetrical and had the lines up the middle of the road running right up the middle of the image.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Greg, Eugen and Donald for your comments. I think all the points you have made are very valid and I think it just confirms for me what I had thought deep down all along - that none of these images quite make it. I have just tried cropping out the shadow at the bottom and this helps but I really think a re-shoot is in order. I'll try and find a more suitable time when the bridge is not so busy (6AM in the morning ??) and when I can get onto the road to get a symmetrical shot. (I will be careful though !!).

Dave

Real Name
    Eugen

Sorry Dave about this ... I didn't think it will make you drop the images and decide to re-shoot.
    Thinking about, it will be very difficult because of several conditions:
    - very low traffic
    - clouds ( they do add to the pic)
    - light direction (because of the shadows)

I'm afraid 6 am will look different because the sun will be very low in the sky and not sure where the East is ( direction of the light).
    But, on the other hand, it might end better.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    Sorry Dave about this ... I didn't think it will make you drop the images and decide to re-shoot.
    Thinking about, it will be very difficult because of several conditions:
    - very low traffic
    - clouds ( they do add to the pic)
    - light direction (because of the shadows)

I'm afraid 6 am will look different because the sun will be very low in the sky and not sure where the East is ( direction of the light).
    But, on the other hand, it might end better.
    No need to be sorry Eugen, I'm absolutely comfortable with all the comments. I posted because I wanted honest feedback. Yes - not sure about timimg of a re-shoot yet. It's not a high priority because I'm not sure how much more I can get out of this scene.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Here's one more version which addresses some of the points raised. I have also not cloned out any vehicles and I think this is the best version yet. A re-shoot would be necessary to get perfect symmetry.

Dave

Curves, Lines and Angles

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    ... and I think this is the best version yet.
    I agree. Good tonal contrast, which is what this image needs, I think.