Joanne Van Praag

Gliding

Gliding

Gliding

Gliding

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Gliding

The very essence of gliding is that there is a tow rope to get the thing into the air, whether that is from an aircraft of a a ground-based pulley. But, somehow I feel it doesn't work so well having that tow rope in the image, especially when it is going out of the frame and we can't see the other end.

Now, to see the other end, we'd need to adopt a completely different shooting angle and probably get the glider just as it was leaving the ground

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Gliding

Hi Joanne,

Is that your lad having an 'experience flight'?

I did that about 25 years ago, a very memorable experience it was too (for all the right reasons), but I didn't take it up because I'm too impatient - round London, the ratio of flight to waiting time was just too boring, given we were using airtow. I guess a winch tow airfield might afford more launch opprotunities.

Even in this kind of setting, they probably wouldn't welcome a photographer in the active area, preventing you getting some awesome shots wide angle up close - e.g. running alongside the wing walker when they are taxi-ing

Given the restrictions you probably faced, these are about as good as you can get.
    If it is repeated, it might be worth seeing if, possibly with an accomplice as a safety person 'second pair of eyes', you can get better access.

Looking up along the tow rope from the winch to glider is another shot idea, but obviously that's a dangerous place to be if the cable broke

Not sure if that helped at all really,