Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Woman (5-25-12)

Real Name
    Bruce

Woman (5-25-12)

I need C&C on this photo. Thanks, BruceWoman (5-25-12)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Woman (5-25-12)

Bruce

I always make the point on here that I'm not the person to give informed constructive criticism on portraits, as they're not 'my thing'.

But, whilst you're waiting for people to come in and make comment, can I draw your attention to the series of portraiture lessons that Colin made for CiC and which can be accessed via this link. If you're in any way serious about portraiture, they represent the best value you could possibly get - they're free. You'd pay a lot of money elsewhere for the advice and guidance that's in there.

It might also help people respond if you were to provide some idea of what it is you are looking for in terms of criticism. Frank posted this quite recently: How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images. It, too, is an excellent article on how to seek criticism.

I'll close with just four observations on this one that you might want to think about:Her bra straps are showing
    • The back of the chair on which she is sitting is showing
    • The light fluffy hairs at the back of her neck and just above the jawline are showing (she might prefer they weren't so visible)
    • I'm not sure that wearing sunglasses for a portrait shoot is the right thing. It kills our view of the eyes.

Real Name
    Jim

No particular offense meant to the model, but this photo appears that she did not want her picture taken. Now if she really doesn't mind, then I suggest that you try again.

Have her remove the sunglasses, sit up straight, and smile at the camera.

Then, either move the flash off camera, or get some other type of lighting. Try a bounce flash at the minimum, or ask her to step outside into some light shade. Get the light balanced, frame with a portrait format, and loosen the frame somewhat. You can always crop tighter later.

Real Name
    Sharon

Agree with the others and would add that the backround is a bit messy...especially on left had side as I look at it and it is two tones of grey.

You can see her bra straps which I think most of us women try hard to avoid as it looks tacky, even on the street but certainly in a portrait.

It's more of a candid shot than a portrait at the moment.

Keep at it..you will get some great advice here.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Shooting a subject with glasses on is always a tricky (impossible?) task as you are bound to get distracting reflections. I find that the highlights from the frames are a bit distracting. Normally when shooting a portrait (other than a profile), one tries to ensure that the nose does not touch or pokes out past the cheek as it tends to make the portrait look a bit strange.

Your lighting is rather flat, and there are no interesting shadows. Normally in portraits one side of the face is more in shadow than the other, and the shadows create some interesting details. The hot spots on her nose need to be toned down a bit too.

Others have already covered off some of the other technical issues.

One of the best ways to learn is to look at how the pros pose and light portaits. Study their work and understand what they have done.

Real Name
    Bruce

Thank you all for your comments. I learned some things today, and as far as I am concerned that is the purpose of this forum.

One thing I do need to point out is that this was not a posed photo. The subject in question was at a party, and had no idea that I took a pic of her until later.

Thanks again for you comments. Bruce