Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: NEF Post-Processing

NEF Post-Processing

Hi there, after i introduced myself down bellow in pet subforum, i have a couple of questions about processing NEF files. I tried both Capture NX2 and Lightroom 4 and right now i am in dillema which one should i use.

As we know Capture NX2 reads in-camera settings, while LR doesn't so i have to match camera profiles (both in-camera and in LR4) and to pray that what i saw on camera LCD looks similar enough in LR4. But even with that i find RAW files in CNX2 looks better, though i dont really like user-interface in CNX2 (slowness, the fact that i cant adapt workspace etc). On the other hand i found LR4 very easy to use, but that sometimes leads me to over-processed images To sum this up, here are the questions:

What do you like more and why - to get it right in camera or to post-process from a default raw file the way you like it?

If you use CNX2 and like to get it right in camera, what settings in camera do you use ( picture control etc. )?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: NEF Post-Processing

Quote Originally Posted by rejven View Post
    What do you like more and why - to get it right in camera or to post-process from a default raw file the way you like it?
    I think you need to think in terms of both getting the image right in camera (when you shoot the image) and using post processing rather than one or the other. It just isn't possible to get everything right every time in-camera. I have Nikon's NX2 but haven't used it since I got Lightroom and Photoshop. In the long run, you'll get far more capability and flexibility in LR so it is very worthwhile to learn to use RAW in LR.

Real Name
    Darren

Very good question. I am currently 30 days into a 60 day trial run of CNX2. I also have LR4. I was perfectly okay with using LR4 until I learned that it absolutely will not come close to correcting white balance in an infrared image whereas CNX2 nails it every time. For now, correcting white balance in my infrared captures is the main reason why I want to use CNX2. Otherwise, LR4 is my main piece of editing/cataloging kit.

However, I do like the fact that CNX2 is made by Nikon for Nikon and therefore there are no translations or accommodations for other camera manufacturers. It's also got some NIK Software built in. If you run only Lightroom, you would obviously have to pay extra for the Nik plugin(s).

I also agree with Frank. Try to get the image correct in the camera first. I can make my images work and look good whether I am post processing with CNX2 or LR4.

In summary, I use CNX2 to nail a corrected white balance. I use LR4 for photo collection/catalog management, overall editing, and user friendliness.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by rejven View Post

I agree with Frank - I bought Capture NX and regret the money I spent on it - LR is a lot more user friendly and every picture can do with some PP anyway - even the ones that look right in-camera.
    In my experience anyway.

Real Name
    Mark

I tried NX and got very frustrated with it and ended up deleting it .Lightroom 4 is awesome and check out lightroom killertips just google it.this was very helpful with lots of video tutorials.
    Switch! don't look back!
    M

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I generally use ACR to convert my images, but occassionally, when colour is critical, I use ViewNX2 and bring the raw file across as a TIFF. While I am in the minority here, I find that while the Adobe software is quick and easy to use, it seems to occasionally screw up the RAW import.

If you read Adobe's website: http://www.adobe.com/special/product...?promoid=DTEHE

This is full of "weasel words" which makes me suspect that Adobe / Nikon collaboration on NEF files is not what we end users would like it to be and that Nikon is protecting it's itellectual property...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I generally use ACR to convert my images, but occassionally, when colour is critical, I use ViewNX2 and bring the raw file across as a TIFF. While I am in the minority here, I find that while the Adobe software is quick and easy to use, it seems to occasionally screw up the RAW import.

If you read Adobe's website: http://www.adobe.com/special/product...?promoid=DTEHE

This is full of "weasel words" which makes me suspect that Adobe / Nikon collaboration on NEF files is not what we end users would like it to be and that Nikon is protecting it's itellectual property...
    I use ViewNX2 also to convert and then use Elements for NEF to TIFF editing.