Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera's photo size VS CS5 photo size?

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

Camera's photo size VS CS5 photo size?

Hi, all:

We can print photo of exactly the same content of the camera. ( no matter 5x7, 6x8, 8x10...)

Why?
    If I open a portrait (like portrait photo) with CS5 and want to crop it, I found that the crop box just not the same proportion width and height of the original photo. Normally the crop box is little shorter in ratio.

Why the CS5 crop box size cannot enlarge to exactly the size of the original photo.

Let me clarify it with numbers. Like the original portrait photo is 5x7. but crop it with CS5 ( 5x7 setting ) can only get the 5x6, why it is shorter?
    any setting I missed?

(I used to use flexible crop box and found out that the cropped image not necessary be print to photo size. I understand this and that's why I started to used preset photo size in cropping.)

any help? thanks

Bill

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Camera's photo size VS CS5 photo size?

Bill - I'm not 100% sure of where you are coming from. There is no correlation between the sensor size in your camera (length x width) versus the paper size you are printing on. This means you do have to crop the image out of your camera to your paper size. I've always found Photoshop fairly accurate when I use the crop tool (when I enter constraints) versus what my printer does.

The way you describe the problem, I wonder if this has more to do with your printer settings than anything else. The details do vary amongst the various printer manufacturers, but if you have clicked a setting (or settings) that constrain or scale the image in the printer driver, you could be seeing output that is different than what you are seeing in Photoshop.

With CS5, I normally do my cropping in the Raw conversion editor. But if I need to crop slightly differently, for example to print on A4 (European paper size) I enter the exact dimensions including resolution into the 'complicated' crop toolbar option. Which requires a bit of thinking.

Otherwise, if cropping to an exact ratio, I use a Selection Rectangular Tool option (from the selection tools menu) and set the tool bar to give me a fixed ratio and enter the desired ratio. Then go to Image menu and choose Crop.

But, recently, I did a crop with the Raw editor then required a different cropping, but same ratio after transferring to the main editing window. The Selection Tools crop was indeed slightly different.

Never happened before so somehow, believe it or not, I must have entered some details incorrectly.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

thanks for the information and see whether I can simplify my question.

After I opened an image using Bridge with CS5, I use the CS5 crop preset ( like 8x10 portrait size) to crop out the things I don't want.
    I found that when I drag the crop box bigger, when the vertical line of the crop box reach the right and left of the photo, [U]the top and bottom of the crop box doesn't by the same ratio go to the top and bottom of the photo.[/U] The horizon part of the crop box always leave out a space of around 1/10 of the photo. (either top of bottom)

My question is: Why a 8x10 crop box cannot enlarge and cover the whole photo which i opened.

I tried to print out: the original photo and the crop photo with the 1/10 of the horizon part missing ( While the vertical width is the same as the original photo.) It proof that the vertical sides can be the same as the original photo but the top or bottom is missing
    that's why I got the conclusion that the crop box cannot enlarge and cover my whole original photo.
    If I still bring more confusion to you than clarification, I will try to take a picture of the 2 photos and let you all have a look on it.

Or last try with number.
    I used the 8x10 crop tool to crop an original photo of 8x10.
    the cropped photo only give me 8x9 in comparing with the original 8x10.
    how come the crop box can drag to the same width ( 8) but the length cannot ( 9 from 10)

thanks

If you include some examples, Bill, try to also give exact image sizes, preferably in pixels, for your out of camera images and the crop size.

As I previously said, I tried the 'auto' crop presets, but didn't like them and was worried about what image resolution I was getting after the crop.

Which is why I use the other methods, albeit more complicated. What happens to your images if you try the alternative methods?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Bill - If you are shooting with a Canon EOS 7D, it has a 22.3mm x 14.9mm sensor. This means that the width to height ratio of the sensor, and the captured image, is 1.5:1. If you want to print an 8" x 10" image, the width to height ratio of that format is 1.25:1

Unless your sensor and paper have exactly the same width:height ratios, there is no way you can make a full frame print without cropping part of the image or not filling the entire piece of paper. You would need a piece of paper that is 6-2/3" x 10" to make an uncropped print. The only way you could fill the print is to distort the image...

Real Name
    Robin

that's why I got the conclusion that the crop box cannot enlarge and cover my whole original photo.
    Surely the whole point of cropping an image is that it actually crops bits off. In other words, some bits of it are no longer require so you crop them off.

If you draw a crop box around the whole of the image then you're not actually cropping it are you?

Real Name
    Robin

I do understand what you getting at I just can't understand why you don't understand it....if you follow.

You've gone out and bought a 10x8 inch frame - you want Photoshop to make the image 10x8 inches - when you do it crops some of it off.

Well how about if you'd gone out and bought a square frame of 8x8 inches - when you then ask Photoshop to crop the image to a square its pretty obvious that your rectangular is going to have to loose the end bits to end up square....there is no difference to the first scenario really. 10x8 is not the same shape as your original file so some of it is going to have to be cropped off to make it the right size and shape.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

thanks to your many patience and Grumpydiver really explain the knot of the issue. (different sensor ratio vs 8x10 ratio.)
    understand! Learned.
    thanks.