Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Blackbird

Real Name
    David

Blackbird

Hello Here is a photo I took last weekend of a Blackbird. Any comments and advice, tips and constructive criticism welcomed. By the way, this is my first post on here, (aside from my intro in the new members section) so need to learn more on posting photos etc, hence the thumbnail!! Many thanks. blackbird-web-version.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 19th May 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Image inserted inline

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Blackbird

Clear and sharp and beautifully set off by the nice background and twigs.

Well done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

David

As you will see, I've put your image into the message. To learn all about posting images, just read -
    HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

You might also find this one helpful - How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images

As to the image - one thing I wonder about is trying to get rid of that twig creeping in at the top. I don't know how you rate your digital post-processing skills, but I think you'd be able to clone that so that you'd never know it had been there.

Real Name
    David

Many thanks Bobobird

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    David

As you will see, I've put your image into the message. To learn all about posting images, just read -
    HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

You might also find this one helpful - How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images

As to the image - one thing I wonder about is trying to get rid of that twig creeping in at the top. I don't know how you rate your digital post-processing skills, but I think you'd be able to clone that so that you'd never know it had been there.
    Many thanks for that. I'll have a try in Photoshop Elements that I have, and see if I can remove the twig. On the whole I was reasonably pleased with this shot as it was one of the first taken using my latest aquisition, a Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens) and was taken handheld at 500mm at f8 and 1/400 - but what do the experts here think?
    Last edited by DavidM61; 19th May 2012 at 11:44 AM.

Real Name
    David

Hello

Following Donalds suggestion, here is the Blackbird again following a very quick edit in Photoshop Elements 9. Any better?

blackbird-web-version-v2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DavidM61; 19th May 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Real Name
    Joe

Much better David, nice image.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM61 View Post
    On the whole I was reasonably pleased with this shot as it was one of the first taken using my latest aquisition, a Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens) and was taken handheld at 500mm at f8 and 1/400 - but what do the experts here think?
    Hi David,

Not that I consider myself an expert, I am reasonably experienced shooting birds and I'd be pleased with the quality of this shot.

The lens you have just acquired is really the only available sensibly priced option for the average amateur. I am torn between getting one to get beyond 300mm (450mm FFE) on my Nikon, or getting a bridge camera with a 25x zoom that goes to somewhere around 800mm FFE. The latter option is much lighter, but will be challenged on quality I suspect.

How do you find the lens for focusing?
    Is it accurate? - I had a Sigma once (the 18-250mm), but on my Nikon, it consistently 'back focused', meaning I had to focus on the ground (or water) some distance in front of the bird to get a shot as good as yours.

Your bokeh looks quite good too, if anything, better than my 70-300mm.

Cheers,

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Much better David, nice image.
    Thanks, appreciated.

Real Name
    glenn

David nice image, I think you made the right call regarding the twig/ good advice as always by donald.
    Nice sharp image and great background blur.

Real Name
    glenn

David nice image, I think you made the right call regarding the twig/ good advice as always by donald.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi David,

Is it accurate? - I had a Sigma once (the 18-250mm), but on my Nikon, it consistently 'back focused', meaning I had to focus on the ground (or water) some distance in front of the bird to get a shot as good as yours.

Cheers,
    Hello Dave

Thanks for the comments.

The camera I used on this shot is my Nikon D300s. So far I've the focusing on it is quick and precise - the exception being in low light conditions when it can hunt a bit, but it is only in really low light. It certainly seems accurate when focusing, and so far I am very pleased with it. On my D300s I've found that when shooting at 500mm, (equivalent using the Nikon to 750mm in full frame), the best results come at f8 and an ISO around 800 - 1000. The blackbird here was at 500mm, f8, 1/400, ISO 800, handheld and in a shaded wooded area. Budget wise, I can't afford a prime 400 or 500mm lens, and against other zoom/telephoto type lenses I feel that this Sigma will give the others a good run for their money.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi David,

Cheers,
    Hello Dave

Thanks for the comments.

The camera I used on this shot is my Nikon D300s. So far I've found the focusing on it is quick and precise - the exception being in low light conditions when it can hunt a bit, but it is only in really low light. It certainly seems accurate when focusing, and so far I am very pleased with it. On my D300s I've found that when shooting at 500mm, (equivalent when using the Nikon to 750mm in full frame), the best results come at f8 and an ISO around 800 - 1000. The blackbird here was at 500mm, f8, 1/400, ISO 800, handheld and in a shaded wooded area. Budget wise, I can't afford a prime 400 or 500mm lens, and against other zoom/telephoto type lenses I feel that this Sigma will give the others a good run for their money.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by stardelta View Post
    Thanks Glen, appreciated.