Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ice on the beach

Real Name
    Páll Jökull Pétursson

Ice on the beach

Ice on the beach
    Jökulsárlón - The Glacial Lagoon. by Jokull, on Flickr

I managed to post my first photo here, what do you think?
    The Icebergs that float out of the Glacier Lagoon in Iceland to the sea are of various sizes and coloration. Some are crystal-clear and others turquase and blue. The ocean rolls them around the beach, creating beautiful forms and patterns. (C&C)
    Last edited by Palljokull; 11th April 2012 at 02:13 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Ice on the beach

Welcome to CiC, Páll and congratulations on your first post. I have never seen this phenomenon so I am curious, approximately how large is this block of ice?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Pall very nice shot, looks like you were almost on the beach itself when you took the image. Good colour in that ice, good sky with some nice blue, that shot is a keeper. Were you on the west side of the outlet as the sun appears in the right hand side of the image. Know I spot as I spend two days there in 2011 in May, just loved it. I will be returning in May of 2012, travelling by myself for 5 days, then meeting up with a group to do the south shore out of Hofn and then back. Hope to return for a week in October or November to get some Northern Lights. You have a great place to shoot, will check out your shots on Flickr.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Peter

I've never seen anything like that before.

Very well captured and well done for getting a subject matter that is somewhat different and unique.

Real Name
    Páll Jökull Pétursson

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Welcome to CiC, Páll and congratulations on your first post. I have never seen this phenomenon so I am curious, approximately how large is this block of ice?
    Hi Frank and thank you.
    This is about my height, 180-190 cm.

Real Name
    Páll Jökull Pétursson

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Pall very nice shot, looks like you were almost on the beach itself when you took the image. Good colour in that ice, good sky with some nice blue, that shot is a keeper. Were you on the west side of the outlet as the sun appears in the right hand side of the image. Know I spot as I spend two days there in 2011 in May, just loved it. I will be returning in May of 2012, travelling by myself for 5 days, then meeting up with a group to do the south shore out of Hofn and then back. Hope to return for a week in October or November to get some Northern Lights. You have a great place to shoot, will check out your shots on Flickr.

Cheers:
    Allan
    Hi Allan, and thanks for your comment.
    Yes this on the west side of the river, where the icebergs come floating down to the sea. I was actually standing in the surf with my tripod, had to run a few times to avoid the waves coming in. You are lucky having been there before and extremely so by going back there Cheers!

Real Name
    Páll Jökull Pétursson

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    I've never seen anything like that before.

Very well captured and well done for getting a subject matter that is somewhat different and unique.
    Thanks Peter. The Icebergs are clear and some of them also have this blue color because of how old the ice is. Sometimes you get lucky with shots like this one, the icebergs are not all that picturesque.
    I had my tripod, theCanon eos 5d with the 17-40mm f/4L and a 0.9 Lee gradient filter to ballance the light in the sky.

wooww.. nice shot

Real Name
    Tommy

That is absolutely phenomenal! I've never seen anything like that before!

Cool! (I couldn't resist!) very unique subject and captured very well.

Real Name
    Miltos

Impressive.
    And well captured!

In addition to this one it would be interesting to show us a close up one to reveal the texture of the ice more clear.