Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Road to Roanoke

Real Name
    Mike

The Road to Roanoke

Atop the Blue Ridge Parkway towards Roanoke NC.

f/4, 1/400, 640 ISO @ 45mm
    The Road to Roanoke
    2012-05 | BRP by MikePhoto63, on Flickr

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Road to Roanoke

That, in my very humble opinion, is a super image.

I think the composition is wonderful. The exposure is great. The use of the light works superbly. My compliments, Mike.

Could anything be different? I might work on the vignette a bit. Not to lighten it necessarily, but to make the transition slightly smoother. Down in the bottom left, the transition from vignette to no-vignette might be a bit harsh.

Real Name
    Mike

Thank You Donald. I used a toy camera preset initially, but as you pointed out, yes, it seems a bit too much. Ive lightened up the vignetting a wee bit and seems to be a better transition. Thoughts? Now Im wondering about the blown sky in the top center of the image...

The Road to Roanoke
    2012-05 | BRP - Version 3 by MikePhoto63, on Flickr
    Last edited by Harpo; 16th May 2012 at 08:21 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Having driven this road many times, the scene is very true and accurately conveys the peace and serenity of driving the Parkway. A truly great rendition, Mike!

I know that the lonely yield sign is part of the scene but do you really want it included as it will attract attention? Sometimes an object like that can cause the viewer to stop and linger a while longer so it's not an undesirable object to leave included.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nice Mike. I like scenes like this ! The mist in the background really adds to the image.

Dave

Real Name
    Mike

I was thinking the same Frank… Bye bye sign. Does look more natural. also darkened the blown out sky in the top center just a very little bit. Blends in better. Thanks for the feedback! Here it is…

The Road to Roanoke
    2012-05 | BRP by MikePhoto63, on Flickr

Ah, the first two images are now "currently unavailable". I removed them from flickr to keep the last one there! Should I have left them for reference? (Edit- restored images)
    Last edited by Harpo; 16th May 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Ah, the first two images are now "currently unavailable". I removed them from flickr to keep the last one there! Should I have left them for reference?
    That would have helped, but at least you have been good enough to put in the above to explain. A lot of folks just move the image and never say that they've done it.

If you wish, you can load them back into Flickr and then edit the above posts and re-insert them.

ps - That latest one is it. Super piece of work.

Real Name
    james

I used to be a sales rep. 20 years ago (seems like a different life) and my territory included NC. Tn. Northwestern Ga. ,Va. , W Va. & kentucky. I was always happy to do my NC. routes because of the Blue Ridge Parkway! Just the way I remember it by the way. thanks Mike.