Thread: colour to B&W conversion for comment

Real Name
    Ken Outch

colour to B&W conversion for comment

Following all the great advice given to me I had another go at this colour conversion to black and white.
    Briefly: Duplicated layer, added black and white curves overlay. Flattened layers and went to Image - mode and converted to grayscale to decrease file size. Then LCE with unsharp mask settings of 50%, 100 pixels and 0 threshold as suggested by Dave. And the second post is the outcome.
    Thanks for viewing. Opinions/ comments/ critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: colour to B&W conversion for comment

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Following all the great advice given to me I had another go at this colour conversion to black and white.
    And it's working. That, I think, is a good B & W conversion. You've got good rich blacks and a tonal range that goes across the spectrum and suits the subject. Nothing wrong with that conversion at all.

We could talk about the need for rotation to straighten the engine up a bit ........ but that's for another day.

Real Name
    Mark

love the conversion, well done but as Donald points out, the train leans over, made me feel a little woozy!

Real Name
    Lennart Elg

If you compare the loco´s position to the roof supports and the track, it looks like it is actually leaning. Part of it is the photo but part of it is real..

The verticals all lean in the same direction, but only slightly. Getting them upright is all that you can really do with a shot like this where there are so many different angles.

And if the train still leans; it probably needs some more air in the tyres on one side.

Definitely a good conversion.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thank you all for your most helpful comments. I was so engrossed in the conversion that I totally missed the drunken lean on the engine. Sorry about that.
    So Geoff, I am hastening down this very am to the rail shed with a bicycle pump to put some air in its bogies. May take me some time. Hmmm wonder how many PSI's goes into a train wheel? Or is it measured in bars? Oh, this pix taking bizzo just gets so complicated at times!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Took the process one step further/ ( or maybe backward? ) After putting loco on even keel by pumping up wheels I tried putting colour shot through single shot psuedo HDR process and picking black and white version. This was then given the LCE unsharp mask treatment with settings suggest3ed by Dave and given above at top of post. Seems to have a lot more detail coming out as a result.
    Would appreciate any feedback/ opinion on end result please.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Took the process one step further/ ( or maybe backward? )
    Or, not backward or forward, but in another direction.

Now, you're starting to get into understanding the possibilities that exist with B & W, where it is all about your interpretation and vision of what the final image should look like. With all images, but particularly B & W, because you are not striving to make a realistic picture of what you saw (because the 'real' scene had colour in it), what you are creating is an interpretation of something that you looked at. Still with me?

So, comparing these two images is, for me, not about asking whether you've move forward or gone backwards. It is about appreciating the different visions. One is not 'better' than the other. Which anyone likes better is a totally subjective matter and I suspect it will split something like 50/50.
    Last edited by Donald; 15th May 2012 at 05:12 PM.

Real Name
    Jason

I think that standing directly infront of the train may have been better composition. but thats just my unprofessional opinion. Perhaps that wasnt possible due to the trench in the center? the b&w conversion was very nicely done.

For me, Ken, you are picking up more detail in the walls, roof and floor with your latest reworking; but I think this is now distracting from the main subject, the engine.

Possibly, adding a little extra which is selectively applied just to the engine might work better for me.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Or, not backward or forward, but in another direction.

Now, you're starting to get into understanding the possibilities that exist with B & W, where it is all about your interpretation and vision of what the final image should look like. something that you looked at. Still with me?

Yes I am and thank you for your sage comments. Much appreciated

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, Ken, you are picking up more detail in the walls, roof and floor with your latest reworking; but I think this is now distracting from the main subject, the engine.

Possibly, adding a little extra which is selectively applied just to the engine might work better for me.
    Thank you for that useful comment.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Probably would have been so Jason. But as you sussed, it was not logistically possible due to trench and other out of shot obstacles.

Real Name
    Philip

Ken,

The new version is, as Donald writes, a different image. The subjective effect of the HDR treatment for me, is to make the image look messy, and in particular, the locomotive now seems to look dirty which is unlike its state in the original. As you probably already know, a relatively easy way to bring out more detail from the darker areas (if that is the objective) is the selective application of the Fill Light adjustment, together with some gentle LCE.

Philip

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thank you for commenting and advice Phillip

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Ken, I've kept looking at these images since you first posted and really like what you've done with them and each one has its own merits. Starting on the B&W journey I find it most interesting in how a B&W image is "seen" without the impact of colour. I'm not fully conversant with the technical terms when talking about B&W.

If I might offer a small observation the hanging light above the loco just draws my attention too much.

Real Name
    Bobo

All look good to me but I am a poor b/w converter amongst many many other things.

The left tires need a bit of equalizing I think.