Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Morning roses

Real Name
    Toņo

Morning roses

... in a vase

anyway I think they look in good shape, considering they survived a long and busy party!

Some friends asked me to take some pictures at the party. They got married recently and they threw a party to invite those who couldn't attend the wedding, since they got married abroad.

I took this one the next morning. Those roses were placed at the center of small tall tables.

I'm very happy with the result, even more since it is almost as shot.

Any ideas for improvement?

Toņo

Morning roses

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Morning roses

Tono, for me there is some wasted white space. Maybe try cropping in tighter and see how that works. For the future, when there is only the flowers for interest, get in close. Also for some different pictures to add, shooting from a higher position like about 45 degrees will get more of the details of the flowers in the frame as well as the greenery. Each subject works out a little different but I'd also try moving them closer to the source of light (a window?) to the left to spread the light out a bit. You've chosen a good angle here and got some good contrasts within the petals.

Real Name
    Mary

Hi Tono-- I like it. I agree on the crop- make it tighter. Also I would lose the black (shadow?) at the base of the vase. It keeps pulling my eye to it. But I like the high key aspect. Good job!

Real Name
    Toņo

Hi.

Thanks for your comments! I did a quick edit to try out your suggestion. Mary, respect to the cup pads I left them there to give a sense of candidness to the picture = shoot the scene as it was without alteration. But probably they don't add too much to the image and became a distraction.

Andrew. Thanks for your suggestions, but actually I was not interested in getting details of the roses. Instead I was trying just to capture the silhouette, it was an attempt to capture the morning atmosphere around the flowers. The vase itself is very simple, but I find pleasant the light that comes through it. In fact the flowers were placed next to a big window, which is the white space that can be seen in the picture.

I probably went too tight with the crop, but I wanted the change in the second version to be significant respect to the first image. What do you guys think about it?

Morning roses

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Tono, I agree with both Andrew and Mary. Your second version with the tighter crop is how I would have cropped it. I do not think it is too tight. The only change I would make is to totally try to colone out the black at the base of the vase. Nice image.

Real Name
    Mary

Much better! Did you grow those? if so I'm jealous.

Real Name
    Toņo

No Mary, I didn't grow them. In fact they were not even mine