Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with RonH

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with RonH

Name: Ron Hosking
    Website: No website but I can happily upload some more pics to CiC if you need ‘extra’s.

CiC: Thank you for agreeing to take part in 'In conversation with ....' here on CiC.

What an interesting challenge, revisiting my past! Thank you for this opportunity.

I penned a small book entitled ‘Me, My Life, My Times’ in which I observed, "If I went on a short journey into space, travelled faster than the speed of light (travelled back in time), returned before I left and then decided I didn’t like the journey and didn’t want to go - what next?" (We all know of course that travel at speeds faster than light is not possible … don’t we?)

Is my CiC ‘In Conversation’ going to be as thought-provoking?

Please tell us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history? Where you grew up? Things you have done. Anything interesting.

Retired now and busier than when I was working - all us retirees say this; it must be true. Or, maybe just one sign of ageing!

Born near Cambridge, England I spent my first few years neighboring an RAF airfield. First recollections of ‘life’ were sitting on fathers lap with bombs dropping nearby; fortunately none connected or you wouldn’t now have the pleasure of my company! Prior to my commencing schooling the family moved south to Surrey and in my late teens, following college, I worked in the communications industry. After some years a job offer came my way and I moved to Melbourne, Australia with two young daughters and then, wife.

Over the years I had much involvement with Norwegian businesses and for the past 12 years have been living here; how fortunate to experience three distinctly different countries and cultures.

Work has mostly centered on the telecommunications industry, firstly in engineering, then sales/sales management and finally general management. Operating a business with branches located in all major Australian cities was tough on me and took its toll - it’s the equivalent of running a business throughout Europe or the USA; such is the vast size of Australia. When I purchased my first house in Australia the sales agent driving us around for ‘viewings’ said as we passed a graveyard “ If you live within one kilometer of this graveyard, you cannot be buried here”. It took me time to work this out! Aussie humour … it really is non-stop.

And what about your family life?

With two sisters in southern England and two daughters plus a grandson in Melbourne, Australia I am dominated by ladies. Lucky break! Hey, that’s why I live in Norway … it’s not for the weather. My Norwegian lady and I travel south to Australia as often as is practicable.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

Much of my book time used to be reading fiction, particularly spy and crime novels. Now it seems that I prefer to sit quietly and practice/study computing, accounting and of course, photography in its various forms. Film entertainment usually takes place every few weeks; having a good meal in the city and seeing one of the latest movie releases with a mate of mine.

Being the primary cook in our household, I have to admit that most meals are K.I.S.S style. But we are lucky having close friends who are passionate cooks; this is where the ‘gourmet palate’ gets its pleasure. Even so I am really a meat & veggies kind of feller, enjoying the occasional roast beef or steak meal - if one can afford the red meat prices here! And don’t mention the cost of wine!

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I fished in rivers and lakes from an early age with fishing rods that I had fashioned. Always the fish I caught were released back into the river after a day’s ‘sport’ but on one occasion, when I netted a fine trout, I gave it the ‘coup de gras’ and took it home for mum to cook. Beautifully dished up on a plate for me - couldn’t eat it, felt sorry for it. I have to eat out of ‘prepared packaging’ now! Soft? You bet.

Hobbies included flying small aircraft and gliders, rifle target shooting plus a lot of cycling. Today I am still an avid viewer of the world’s major cycling events and own a racing bike, though it’s not getting out much now. During our long winter months I spend much of my time at my pc, producing videos/picture slide shows, audio projects, designing and printing greeting cards, studying, questioning and participating in forums and the like. Learning the ropes you might say - important to look after the ‘grey matter’ as one is ageing.

During the summer months (or is it month up here?) we are out working our garden or travelling or ‘just being’.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

Interest in Photography started pre-teenage years. Father had his own set up (Rollieflex, home built projector/darkroom etc) and one of his jobs was hiring out his skills for weddings and other events. Brave or foolish? No idea what the result would be until the film was developed. My task was ‘caddy’, though I did get to use his darkroom; still have the sore finger/thumb gained as a result of twiddling black knobs on top of black plastic film processing containers.

At college, I joined a small photography class which included evening portraiture work, taking pictures of ‘lady friends’ - can’t recall any male models. Was I interested then in photography? You bet!

Later, after college, I lapsed into being a ‘picture-snap’ photographer using a variety of cameras from basic 35mm, APS format and super 8mm video’s etc before venturing into Pentax SLR and now, Nikon DSLR.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Mostly I seem to concentrate on scenery rather than action. I wouldn’t call mine ‘landscape photography’ as I don’t consider I have such skill. I have been trying to hone my limited skills for action photography but have not had much luck, need faster glass for our relatively poor lighting conditions.

Any particular photographic influences?

My No1 is CiC. And I love the panoramic landscape work of Ken Duncan.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

My life goals are to learn or try to do something different each day. Is this also a sign of ageing?

I guess my greatest photography triumph was capturing some good wedding pictures of my niece and then producing a slide show/sound video that highlighted all the important moments on a DVD. Beforehand I had no knowledge that I would end up as the ‘official wedding photographer’ due to the absence of the ‘official’. I tried to decline but mine was the only camera that ‘looked the part’.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I had looked at web sites prior to finding CiC and none in my opinion come close to our relaxed but professional forum. I sense that I can ask anything about photography and will be guaranteed replies - without being ‘put down’ if you get my meaning. One judge of good forums may be the longevity of its members and moderators. Many of our members are long-termers and contribute regularly to competitions and to helping those of us who are hungry for knowledge to improve our skills.

Don’t change it – the new web pages are brilliant and it’s not broke! Let it evolve through member influences.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Age and a ‘too busy’ brain! I am one of those ‘go fast’ nutty characters that burn a lot of brain fuel which is probably why I can easily get jaded if I lack stimulation. How I long for the easy life! Dream on, Ron.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

My present small stock of photographic gear is an ‘entry-level’ Nikon D3000 DSLR. We still use our first digital camera, a Nikon D4800 semi-compact and from time to time also the ‘mobile phone’. The D3000 has all that I need but sometimes little extras such as live-view flip out screen and grouping would come in handy.

For glass I mostly carry a Nikon 18-105mm, 3.5-5.6, purchased with the camera. A Sigma 70-300mm, 4-5.6 and Nikon 35mm 1.8 completes my limited gear, plus the mandatory hot-shoe flash, various lens filters, tripod, monopod etc. Apart from the fixed 35mm lens my glass is rather ‘slow’ for fast shutter speeds this far north – I noticed the difference in potential when in Australia last year where I over-exposed quite a number of shots.

Photoshop Elements 8 is my base editing software and for slideshow/video editing Cyberlink’s Power Director.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

It's difficult to be objective, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

My skills would be mid-range with the occasional ‘shine’. I think I have the capacity to recognize what makes a good shot and find that I often select CiC competition pictures that turn out to be winners. But few are mine! Black and white is where I think I have the greatest difficulty.

What will the digital camera be like in 2030? And will you still own one?

I read somewhere that digital cameras aren’t just light receptors but handheld computers, interpreting light and forming it into something that looks like an image. In the future maybe digital cameras will interpret and even change recorded reality – the ‘shot’ automatically presented as a multi-choice.

With such fast developing technology I doubt that I could ‘guess future’ even 5 years down track. Smart phones and 3rd generation digital cameras will I believe further dominate the market place where users want quick, good results to match fast lifestyles. But there will always be a place for the serious enthusiast or professional to lug around lots of gear! Will I still own one? I hope so, though it may need excellent anti-shake features with a good fast focus!

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I can and do encourage other friends and family in their photography but this is at a very amateur level. I probably gain more than I give. Very occasionally, discussion involves going out on a photo shoot but this is a rare event. I appreciate the need for early morning and late evening light but in winter it’s just too cold for me to venture far and in summer I would never get any sleep. Yes, I know these are just excuses! Maybe I should concentrate on indoor shooting.

You often see debates on the subject … but do you consider photography to be art?

My CiC thread at Should Digital Photography still be classified in the ‘Arts’ drew much response to this subject. Bottom line - yes it is an art in my opinion, though very different to that enjoyed by our predecessors. I consider the ‘shoot & see now’ aspect of digital to be the single most important change.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Hey, I’m not camera shy though why anyone would want to …

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Remember, you don’t need the most expensive gear to get the best shot. The shot needs ‘you’ and practice, practice, practice. Oh and join CiC!

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

To see our 'Pussy' heading home through the snow up one of our paths, to have camera in hand, to be standing in the right location and to be able to express such a simple shot when I was ccccold 'made my day' - I had followed him around for some time looking for opportunity.

This shot was taken in Denmark at the entrance to a small restaurant where we planned to take afternoon cake & coffee. But it was closed!

Advantage ... no people in the way, time to consider possibilities! I backlit the foreground leaves. The quietness of the situation, the swirls of pollen in the water around the old moored dinghy gave me this exceptional opportunity to try my best.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

Cooking eggs in a microwave - don’t! As a young novice, I boiled an egg in water but, after shelling, it seemed too soft. Popped it into the micro to harden. After a visual check through the glass it still seemed very soft; more micro. This time when I took it out I touched it; it exploded with a very loud bang and deposited red hot ‘granules’ of egg all over me and the kitchen. Luckily my burns were very minor but I got to wash the entire kitchen for my troubles!

Thank you, again, for taking part in 'In conversation with .......'
    Thank you for the opportunity to journey with CiC.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Paul

Re: In conversation with RonH

Nice to know more about you Ron. Don't worry bout the egg thing. When a youngster we would get fresh honey from a farm and was told to keep it in the refridgerator. This causes it to seperate and be quite hard. Smart guy here....put the cold quart sized glass jar directly on the stove burner. 2 minutes later a quart of honey and glass dripping through the whole stove.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Ron thanks for sharing your story - from another Aussie (well we'll regard you as an honorary Aussie anyway ). It was a most interesting read. You've lived a full and interesting life so far by the sound of things.

Dave

PS : Love that boat image.

Real Name
    Ron

Thanks for your comments.

Hey, Paul, looks like us 'blokes' should keep well clear of the kitchen ... dangerous places

And Dave, having dual nationality has some advantages ... used my Aussie passport on one occasion to leave Norway and the UK one when I returned; caused an interesting discussion at our passport control Haven't taken up Norwegian citizenship 'cause you have to ditch your 'history'. However, being an 'honorary Oz' here has many advantages. Because you are one of so few, you get to meet interesting folk. For example, a few of us got together with the Aussie ski team when they competed here in the championships a year ago and next week we will meet up with Orica-GreenEdge, the first Aussie pro cycling team, who are competing in the Tour of Norway. Its not all 'beer & skittles' though ... can't afford the beer

Real Name
    Steve

Interesting; I'm not allowed in the kitchen by law of course, because I had a habit of putting something on the hob, going upstairs to do something and then go back down after getting up in the morning to find a rather warm pan.

I am in fact watched over by numerous cats, white ones, white and black ones, and a ginger one, waiting for me to look out the window first thing in the morning. They allow me to go into the garden sometimes and always let me know they want to come in after dark.

I like your photographs, some very clever observations; especially of cats, making them look so human and cuddly. While the ones round here are just waiting for me to snuff it so they can move in and have a good time.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    (We all know of course that travel at speeds faster than light is not possible … don’t we?)
    That's recently been disproved ... apparently all one needs is a loose fibre-optic cable!

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencein...es-faster.html

Thankyou for sharing Ron, it was great read, really like the composition and colour of the 'still water' image

Real Name
    Ron

Steve, your ' ...especially of cats, making them look so human and cuddly ...' is a direct influence of the lady in my life. I'm sure she stage manages him for the shots I am allowed to take
    But you must have missed this ... heavily cropped, too dangerous to get close!

And Colin, In reading the article about a loose fibre-optic cable I reckon that if they made the trip in about 60 nanoseconds less than light speed then that's getting so close that we could soon see the result of my sign-off ...
    ''We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"

Wendy ... such a nice comment, thank so much.
    (OK guys, I am 'buttering' up to the ladies again Can't help myself ... so much training )

Takk for din vennlighet og støtte
    Ron
    Last edited by RonH; 11th May 2012 at 07:28 AM.