Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Identify this lens maker

Real Name
    William

Identify this lens maker

I recently bought a camera lot and already have a zoom lens that covers this one. According to my research, this was made by Komine, but not sure what decade. I have also noticed that everyone that claims their lens is a Komine, the lettering is green, not red.

I am doing the research to figure out a good asking price, sice i have decided to sell it. Lens is in what I would describe as mint condition. No scratches, haze, or fungus. Body has zero scratches on it and pictures come out nice. Any help would be appreciated.

AUTO Vivitar TELEPHOTO 200mm 1:3.5 No.2812283 in m42 mount
    Sticker reads JCII 14 PASSED JMDC

Identify this lens maker

Real Name
    Alexander Rose

Re: Identify this lens maker

Real Name
    William

Actually no, that's not it. Mine is a 200mm fixed, that one is a 28-200 zoom.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by GreedyRogue View Post
    AUTO Vivitar TELEPHOTO 200mm
    William

Don't think I can help with a suggested value, but re your thread title, isn't the answer the one you have provided yourself - Vivitar?

I note from their website that they don't seem to produce anything equivalent (i.e. 200mm) nowadays.

Real Name
    William

Actually Vivitar is the brand of the lens, not the lens maker in this situation. Vivitar lenses made between '70 and '90 were made by 16 different companies. Some have better reputation on quality control than others. Source

I would like to narrow down what decade it was made in, '71, or '81. It is supposed to be a Komine lens with the serial number starting at 28, but every lens I find that claims to be a Komine has green meter lettering where mine is red. I also only have a 7 digit serial where most have 8 or 9 digits.

I know that the Komine lenses are valued a little more than some of the other manufacturers, I just want to make sure I am selling a Komine so I don't misrepresent the lens when I try to sell it.

It's like putting up an ad for a iPod, and when the buyer shows up, it's a Ipod. (Ipod is counterfeit, Apple doesn't capitalize the I) I prefer to advertise what exactly I am selling.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by GreedyRogue View Post
    Actually Vivitar is the brand of the lens, not the lens maker in this situation. Vivitar lenses made between '70 and '90 were made by 16 different companies.
    Now I have learned something today. Thanks, William. I hope someone can offer the probable answer.

Real Name
    Richard

Vivitar offered some pretty good lenses at one time under their brand name Vivitar. I believe that the Komine company also made some of the original Vivitar Series One lenses. I had a Pentax M-mount Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Series One Macro lens that was exceptionally sharp and well built.