Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: GIMP 2.8 released

GIMP 2.8 released

Gimp 2.8 has been released.
    http://www.gimp.org/

I recommend a look at the release notes especially the sections, "Save And Export", "Known Regressions" and "Installation" before you download.
    http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.8.html

• There was an issue with TIFF files that seemed to be addressed.
    • Wacom tablet support is broken*, (Intuos seems OK).
    • Python is now included.
    • You can install GIMP 2.8 and keep Gimp.2.6x if you choose a custom install.

I've had no problems with the migration of scripts and plugins. PSPI works for PS plugins.
    Some users had issues with the LabCurves plugin. I can confirm it works fine, it's a only a path issue as Gimp 2.8 installs in the GIMP 2 folder.

*Your mileage will vary with Wacom tablets.
    Last edited by Ken Husveg; 6th May 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: GIMP 2.8 released

Thanks Ken

I will go and get it. But I don't like the sound of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Husveg View Post
    Wacom tablet support is broken, (Intuos seems OK).
    I do much less with the GIMP now and 2.6 really meets my needs. But I'd like to see 2.8.

Real Name
    Guy Poizat

Donald,
    Like most Gimp users, I was eager to test the long expected 2.8 version and I downloaded its portable version the very first day it was launched. As an amateur photographer I wouldn't say it is a major breakthrough, at least in my opinion. Although they say that there shouldn't be any problem transferring scripts and plugins from the previous versions, I experienced one with "Liquid Rescale" from the start. I got in touch with Carlo Baldassi who was most helpful and decided to include an addendum in the download instructions in Wikidot, which made things easy from then on. I have noticed that Martin Egger has updated some of his "eg" plug-ins and deleted others. You can see that some of the "popular" plug-ins that appear in the official registry mention that they are updated for 2.8, so I wouldn't say that the transfer is obvious. All in all, I have decided to stick to 2.8 but I consider that it might have been wiser to wait a little longer before abandoning my trusted 2.6.12. After all, my practice of Gimp is limited to post processing and personally, I have come to the conclusion that it is very useful provided you don't "overdo" it.
    Best regards,
    Guy
    GIMP 2.8 released

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Guy - That is very helpful. Thank you. I have not had a chance to put it together and try it out yet. I hope to do so this weekend.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th May 2012 at 08:07 AM.

I've compiled two lists (with a little help from my friends) of 3rd party scripts and plugins compatible with Gimp 2.8. The lists are long so I posted them at the following links.

Gimp-2.8 3rd party plugins (265)
    sites.google.com/site/isite693/gimp-2-8-plugins

Gimp-2.8 3rd party scripts (300)
    sites.google.com/site/isite693/gimp-2-8-scripts

Real Name
    Guy Poizat

Hello !
    The lists are long indeed ! Very reassuring though. Thank you, regards, GPZT.

I can't guarantee all the plugins and scripts will work on all set-ups. The main issue for many people seems to be paths, as I mentioned in my original post. If anyone has a problem I'm sure I can help.