Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Beauty and the Beasts

Real Name
    Arlen

Beauty and the Beasts

As far as I'm concerned, this is the perfect time to be in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. The last of the trees are leafing out, and everything is enveloped in the special glowing green of young sprouts.

Beauty and the Beasts
    (Click for full size.) McKenzie River Valley

Among the first bloomers were the flowering plums.

Beauty and the Beasts
    (Click for full size.)

The plum blossoms have fallen, but taking their place are a spectacular assortment, including my favorite, the white rhododendrons.

Beauty and the Beasts
    (Click for full size.)

They have bunches of delicate blossoms that are not only beautiful in and of themselves...

Beauty and the Beasts
    (Click for full size.)

...but they provide wonderful backdrops for photographing the many insects they attract. There are the usual honeybees of course, but what else might I find there? From the mundane flies, that nevertheless sport fascinating eyes...

Beauty and the Beasts
    (Click for full size.)

...to the occasional winsome wasp, come to lap nectar.

Beauty and the Beasts
    (Click for full size.) Paper Wasp, aka Vespid

And then there are the predators. One stands perched to pounce at a moment's notice...

Beauty and the Beasts
    (Click for full size.) Robber Fly

...while its cousin enjoys the fruits of recent success.

Beauty and the Beasts
    (Click for full size.) Robber Fly with unidentified dipteran

It's a fly eat fly world out there.
    (I just had to say it. )

I can't wait to see what other beasts the beauties will lure my way, as the seasons wear on.

Real Name
    Noel

Re: Beauty and the Beasts

hi Arlen,
    I am in awe of what you and others here are capable of, and definititely not qualified to offer suggestions on fractional improvements. However, pleading guilty to commenting without including anything constructive, I would like to say that I really enjoyed this series of photographs. I was impressed by each image individually, but more so by the composition of the narrative that connects them together. Great work.
    - Noel

Real Name
    Arlen

Noel, thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I really appreciate it.

And to everyone else, though I failed to say so in the original post, questions and comments of any (reasonable ) sort are welcome.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Interesting set of pictures Arlen. The insects are all nice and sharp and well focussed (that last one is a good catch). However for my taste, the first two images (fence and first flower) are the most appealing shots. I like the compostion of the first and the artistic treatment of the second. Very nice.

Dave

Real Name
    Arlen

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. Glad you liked the first two shots. As for the insects, do you generally find pictures of them uninteresting, or is it just these images in particular that don't do much for you?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, Dave. Glad you liked the first two shots. As for the insects, do you generally find pictures of them uninteresting, or is it just these images in particular that don't do much for you?
    Yes Arlen, I'm not terribly interested in insect pictures in general. Yours are very well done though as far as I can see.

Dave

Real Name
    Arlen

To me seeing tiny creatures in detail beyond normal experience is very intriguing, but I am a biologist, given to such things, and I know that I'm in the minority. Most folks regard bugs as something to avoid or to step on--even the majority of my own family. And I have to admit that the main subjects of this post--flies--aren't likely to win the hearts of many. Heck, I've swatted a few myself!

To (over-?) compensate, maybe my next post will be full of kittens and puppies.

Real Name
    Sharon

I have very little interest in insect pics normally but I love those two Robber Fly shots. Perhaps it's the lovely soft backgrounds or that you have taken them at just the right distance for me but the look almost elegant and I can enjoy them for their lines and shapes. They are artistic as well as informative.

Well done Arlen.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That is a super story that is developing. Keep working on that and you have a real project on your hands and the prospect of bringing it all together in a gallery or self-printed book.

Real Name
    Arlen

Sharon and Donald, I appreciate your observations and kind words.

Real Name
    Sharon

Arlen, I hear your narrative in the accent of Garrison Keillor which is possibly Geograohically a bit out ( Minnesotta/Oregon)
    but it suits the words so let me go on believing!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Arlen,

I prefer the macro shots because they're not something I'd do as well myself and allow me to see detail I couldn't with the naked eye.

Of the others, the first is the only one I'd alter - by getting the fence posts vertical - although perhaps they're not

Cheers,

Real Name
    Arlen

Sharon, as an admirer of Keillor's wordsmithing (though well short of measuring up), I'll strive to avoid marring your mental image.

And ah yes, Dave, good catch. The fence does slump a bit, but maybe I can give it a little spine-strengthening boost.

There, does this look better?

Beauty and the Beasts

Real Name
    Sharon

No..ye'e got the voice .

XXXXXXXXX