Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first experiments for multiple exposures

My first experiments for multiple exposures

Following previous discussion with Colin for his lovely "last night" picture, I tried over the weekend (during the sunset time) my first experience for multiple exposures which may be viewed as a replacement for one single long exposure shot.

Below are two pictures (in fact they were produced from the same sources but with different styles) produced from 4 separate exposures each with about 20-25 seconds.
    I planed to take 10 exposures, but after completing the forth, the wave was so big that almost washed away my tripod and camera, so I had to stop.

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Yan

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: My first experiments for multiple exposures

Hi Yan,

It look slike you've got the basic technique sorted - so just a few minor points ...

- Very little detail in the rock - did you use a GND filter? Either way, you probably need to use the fill light control in the RAW converter to bring the shadow levels up some more.

- Personally, I'd recommend keeping horizons 1/3 down from the top (if nothing else, it gives you more "wiggle room" if you need it!).

looks nice...will have to try doing these one of these days

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Yan,

It look slike you've got the basic technique sorted - so just a few minor points ...

- Very little detail in the rock - did you use a GND filter? Either way, you probably need to use the fill light control in the RAW converter to bring the shadow levels up some more.

- Personally, I'd recommend keeping horizons 1/3 down from the top (if nothing else, it gives you more "wiggle room" if you need it!).

Colin,

Thanks very much for your comments. I used a 3f-stop GND for the sky part.
    I'll try the "fill-light" function.

Regards,

Yan

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    looks nice...will have to try doing these one of these days
    Thanks for your comments. If conditions allowed, I think more shots would produce a better effect.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Thanks for your comments. If conditions allowed, I think more shots would produce a better effect.
    More shots give you a "different" effect (to a point - the law of diminishing returns also kicks in at some stage) - whether it's better or worse really depends on a number of things.

Case-in-point - here's a couple of shots taken at the same time - the first was a 60 second exposure - note the texture in the water. The second was a 5 minute exposure - note the different water effect. Which is "better"? Personal taste perhaps, but I prefer the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Case-in-point - here's a couple of shots taken at the same time - the first was a 60 second exposure - note the texture in the water. The second was a 5 minute exposure - note the different water effect. Which is "better"? Personal taste perhaps, but I prefer the first.
    Now I much prefer the second image, only because it seems less cluttered and draws my attention not only to the loading pier but also it makes me see the straight line reflections in the 'milky look' water in the foreground.