Thread: Drive

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Drive

I think this will be one of those photos that folks will either appreciate, or just plain not like!

I wanted to "up the ante" with my photography, so for this shot I was literally hanging out of the boot of a car whilst my daughter (who only has a learner licence) drove close behind - in the rain - at about 80 km/hr. On-camera flash.

C & C Welcome!

Drive

Re: Drive

Colin, it definitely has a movie feel to it, the desolate highway at night. On a side note of appreciation, the risks photographers take in order to get good shots What did you use for lighting her face? Great capture!

Ryo

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Looks like something out of a horror movie, what with the eerie glow on the young lady's face. She just needs to have an evil look and I'd believe this was the last photo ever taken by the unfortunate photographer.

My daughter's not quite old enough to start driving yet, but even if she were I'd be sure to choose a day that she was in a good mood!

Tony

Real Name

Thanks Ryo & Tony,

OK, my description of events may not have been entirely accurate

It was an interesting shoot -- not the shot I was hoping for, but educational all the same.

In reality I had the car parked in the middle of our street at night (we live in a short, dead-end street, so no real concerns about other traffic). Camera on tripod in front of car - exposure adjusted to give a good effect with the headlights. Assistant #1 was spraying water from the garden hose over the car, and the front of the car was lit by 3 600EX-RT flashes in a softbox on a boom arm. I also placed an additional 600EX-RT (with a CTB gel) in the car, aimed at the driver.

In post processing I added motion blur to the car (but kept the drivers face sharp), and motion blur to the road to give the illusion of movement.

Well played Sir; Even now I cannot see your PP slight of hand in the image.

Ryo

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    In reality I had the car parked in the middle of our street at night (we live in a short, dead-end street, so no real concerns about other traffic). Camera on tripod in front of car - exposure adjusted to give a good effect with the headlights. Assistant #1 was spraying water from the garden hose over the car, and the front of the car was lit by 3 600EX-RT flashes in a softbox on a boom arm. I also placed an additional 600EX-RT (with a CTB gel) in the car, aimed at the driver.

In post processing I added motion blur to the car (but kept the drivers face sharp), and motion blur to the road to give the illusion of movement.
    A very interesting shot and all the more fascinating that it has an appearance of the fast drive in the rain. Thank you so much for providing the techniques used to accomplish that 'look'. Great piece of work, Colin. Well thought out and executed!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    Well played Sir; Even now I cannot see your PP slight of hand in the image.

Ryo
    Thanks Ryo,

Been "do'in it" for a few years now!

Real Name
    Brian

Cool, I like it.

Real Name
    Paul

Very well done, it is quite believable even after knowing it's staged. Very cool image.

Real Name

Thanks Brian and Paul

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Masterful. A lesson in creativity and technical brilliance.

Real Name
    Brian

I love the fact that you 'made' this shot. This is how I do my best work (at least I think so) - when I have an image in my head before I start.
    Last edited by speedneeder; 30th April 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Bravo (sound of clapping)

excellent performance

{I like it}

Real Name
    Terry

I love concept shots!

However, there is one major problem here. I'm glad it should come from a Friend rather than some Bozo halfway across the Planet that you have never met, Colin.

This photograph has to be flipped horizontally. The steering wheel is obviously on the wrong side and it just sticks out like a sore thumb!

No need to thank me for this Sage Advice, Colin. I am only too happy to give it freely!

That's just the kind of guy I am!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Masterful. A lesson in creativity and technical brilliance.
    Thanks Donald

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    I love the fact that you 'made' this shot. This is how I do my best work (at least I think so) - when I have an image in my head before I start.
    Kinda ... I was trying for a shot with #2 daughter walking out in front of the car - and a horrified look on the drivers face ... but if just didn't work out. Still, lots of lessons learned for next time though. Perhaps next time I'll do it in the dry and put a couple of my smoke generators in behind the front wheels.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Bravo (sound of clapping)

excellent performance

{I like it}
    Thanks Dave

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I love concept shots!

However, there is one major problem here. I'm glad it should come from a Friend rather than some Bozo halfway across the Planet that you have never met, Colin.

This photograph has to be flipped horizontally. The steering wheel is obviously on the wrong side and it just sticks out like a sore thumb!

No need to thank me for this Sage Advice, Colin. I am only too happy to give it freely!

That's just the kind of guy I am!
    Ah - you caught me out. OK - I confess - I'm really just a 16 year old kid - and I shot this in front of a mirror (and cloned out the camera!).

One a more serious note, this left side / right side thing freaks me out when each can go to the others country and be allowed to drive. We've had numerous occasions when someone has forgotten (and to make matters worse, we just changed our give way rules!). I might add that the 16 year old in question would probably take well to driving in the USA ... judging by the number of times she tries to drive on the wrong side of the road when I'm teaching her!

Real Name
    Richard

Heck Colin, back in my drinking days; that was a pretty common sight for me...

Real Name

By popular demand, here's the USA version ...

Drive