Thread: Boxcar

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Boxcar

Boxcar

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Boxcar

I don't think I've had the chance of saying hello and welcome to CiC. So ......... hello and welcome.

First up - So that you don't continue to get people asking you what your proper name is, because most us use that on here, you can go to Edit Profile and enter your proper name under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts. You can also enter your location so that it does the same, just as in my details alongside this message. Then we all know where everyone is in the world.

You don't say whether you are, inviting or seeking, comment and criticism on this image. If so, you may find this post useful: How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images.

On the assumption that you are open to C & C, I think the main issue with this one is the rotation/perspective problems it has. The basis of a very good image are there, but if you look at the lines on the door behind him and of step he's sitting on, they're all not horizontal. I'd suggest they need to be.

Also, would I be correct in guessing that you were standing up and, at best, leaning over and a bit above the man? I think you needed to get down low (probably kneeling) and be at his height. That would have helped the rotation/perspective issue.

That brass letter box just doesn't work there either.

So, I think this was a superb idea. But, for me, it's a case of right subject matter, wrong location.
    Last edited by Donald; 1st May 2012 at 11:10 AM.

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Donald, thanks for the good feedback and suggestions. I find that in street photography, getting people to move around according to my wishes re background, etc., is not all that easy. I've usually got a split second or two to get the shot before it disappears. I was able to engage this guy in an amusing dialogue which got him to hold still for the shot. You've got me thinking, though. I'm going to go back through some Cartier-Bresson shots and see if I can find instances of the background being flawless within his "decisive moments." One of the things that HCB did was find a place that suited his intuitive geometry, hang out there, and wait for someone to walking into the "set." Nice to meet you, Donald, and look forward to posting here. In the future, I'll identify the shot in such a way to invite response. Best, Doug Anderson.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Doug,

Welome from me too, great to have you with us.

My question relates to the thread title, from which I was expecting a railroad boxcar, which I don't think this is. Can you detect a hint of "railway nut" about my (mock) indignation?

Getting to your picture ...
    I have to say that although one might argue that a shot of a child should be taken at their height, with this, it doesn't bother me so much because that's the angle I see these people from and (unlike a child), it is their choice to be 'down there' (in height terms I mean, I'm sure no-one wants to survive/live like this).

Beyond that, I agree, you really don't get a chance at the time to improve things and perhaps PP offers a partial solution, e.g. the cloning out of the letterboxes, etc.

All the best,

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Thanks, Dave. Very helpful comment.