Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS CS5. How to ......

Real Name
    Albert Sim

PS CS5. How to ......

Hi, everyone out there,

If I claimed "An image without post-processing will not turn into a pro-look." Do you agreed ?
    And, definitely Photoshop makes wonder but working on it ..... oh my god ! It's sooooooooooooo complicated ! I have the CS5 and my source of learning it is from an UK magazine. Regret to say, I failed to catch up from that source. May be I am a bit stupid in that.

Any advice from you guys. I shall be much obliged.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: PS CS5. How to ......

Albert

Interestingly a similar question has been raised in another thread in the last couple of days.

My answer to your question is, 'Yes, I agree'. All work shot as RAW file needs work on it to produce a finished image. My way of expressing this is to say, "Pressing the shutter is the end of the first part of making an image. The second part starts when you begin processing in the darkroom (if you're shooting film) or on computer (if you're shooting digitally)."

But, I would also add to that - Post-processing cannot turn a poor photograph into a superb finished product. Some people seem to think that you do not need to be concerned with the skill of capturing the image and that post-processing will solve any errors. I do not agree with that view.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Albert. I agree whole-heartedly with Donald on this issue.

I would like to point out that although trying to turn a 'sows ear into a silk purse' still produces a typically lousy result, it can help you sharpen your PP skills. It can also help to clarify what you need to accomplish before you press the shutter as it gives you an opportunity to carefully examine what went wrong and what needs to be corrected.

So, although it may only marginally improve a snapshot, one of the biggest benefits is in learning what you need to do to capture the image correctly in the first place. It also give you something that can productively fill your time during the 'rainy day blues'.

When learning CS5, Albert, you need some good books to assist you. 500 pages only scratches the surface.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers by Martin Evening and there are also some Scott Kelby books which are well regarded.

It is a complicated programme, but just start with the items you currently need then add more knowledge as required. Trying to learn everything in one go, unless you are coming from a CS4 upgrade is a bit much for the average brain to take on board in one go.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Hi Albert. As someone who wrestles with CS5 on a daily basis, I must endorse Geoff's suggestion of Martin Evening's wonderful book. I am also reading Conrad Chavez 's book with the same name and it seems to me that they have everything covered. For quick fixes when I get stuck on some procedure, I turn to 'Youtube' and watch some of Russell Brown's videos.

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    When learning CS5, Albert, you need some good books to assist you. 500 pages only scratches the surface.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers by Martin Evening and there are also some Scott Kelby books which are well regarded.

It is a complicated programme, but just start with the items you currently need then add more knowledge as required. Trying to learn everything in one go, unless you are coming from a CS4 upgrade is a bit much for the average brain to take on board in one go.
    Hi Geoff,
    Thank you for your advice, anyway, do you mean these two ? I checked it out from Amazon.
    1) Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC [Paperback] Martin Evening, and
    2) The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) [Paperback]
    Scott Kelby.

Real Name
    Siggi-short for Siegfried

Get to know your equipment really well,google and youtube have a wealth of information about CS5,joining a camera club has helped me immensely.

It was #1 Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC [Paperback] Martin Evening that I purchased. And at a good discount from Amazon.

Plenty of introduction information for relative newcomers and a fair bit of advanced ideas for the 'old hands'. Over 700 pages including a lot of illustrations.

Thereafter, it's up to you to keep experimenting and learning from your mistakes.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'd suggest popping along to www.kelbytraining.com - they have an extensive collection of online videos on all manner of topics, including many on post-processing.

Real Name
    Andrew

You don't say how far you got before the break point. My suggestion is to start over, confirm you are familiar with the basics and every lesson after that before going on to the next step. As with any new learning, having a solid base of understanding makes those that follow easier to comprehend. If you get past that comfort level the stress will build to the point you may not want to continue and just give up. Look up Lesa Snider. She wrote the book and has many videos floating around. A great down-to-earth instructor who gets her lessons across with plain simple instructions.

Do yourself a HUGE favour and check out CreativeLive.com. I love those people. Creative Live training sessions are free on-line while they are being recorded and during reruns that evening. Hundreds (some say thousands) of people around the world join in on PC's and through social media. You can watch and even post questions to the presenter. If you like the show you can purchase it for your reference afterwards. A fantastic site and I never miss a course whether it's a one day or one week presentation. And again, it's free! No junk mail, no hard sell, nothing comes back to haunt you. No I don't work for them, I've just really benefited from their courses. Lesa Snider has done others but she has a CS6 and ACR course coming up in May. Take a look at the itinerary and if it's appropriate just sign up. They send reminders a couple of days ahead of time.

Another good place is Lynda.com. It's been around for years and also has a great reputation.

http://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-CS5-t...ducttypeid%3A2
    Last edited by Andrew1; 26th April 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Real Name
    Albert Sim

It was #1 Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC [Paperback] Martin Evening that I purchased. And at a good discount from Amazon.

Plenty of introduction information for relative newcomers and a fair bit of advanced ideas for the 'old hands'. Over 700 pages including a lot of illustrations.

Thereafter, it's up to you to keep experimenting and learning from your mistakes.
    Hi Geoff,
    Just FYI, I have already order the book from Amazon, waiting for its delivery.
    Thank you again.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

there are 4 books around me with my CS5. Some are project based. Some are layer based. On-line video work not so good for me. As I am the person who need to follow the book's instruction step by step and get that specific things done. Until then have the freedom to extend the fun with CS5. Learning definitely not from magazine - they are more of a beautiful commercial category, right?
    Even better advise is go to chapters and flip the book and you will know whether which type of CS5 book you prefer. Some prefer more instructional, some prefer more topical - like specifically for layer....
    enjoy.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Yeung View Post
    On-line video work not so good for me. As I am the person who need to follow the book's instruction step by step and get that specific things done.
    I just pause the video

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Yeung View Post
    there are 4 books around me with my CS5. Some are project based. Some are layer based. On-line video work not so good for me. As I am the person who need to follow the book's instruction step by step and get that specific things done. Until then have the freedom to extend the fun with CS5. Learning definitely not from magazine - they are more of a beautiful commercial category, right?
    Even better advise is go to chapters and flip the book and you will know whether which type of CS5 book you prefer. Some prefer more instructional, some prefer more topical - like specifically for layer....
    enjoy.
    Bill,
    you had said it for me. Hahaaa. That is why I looked for help here. I took the advice from our friends here and I am waiting for the book to deliver to me.

Some useful resources that I use, the most important one being the cic photoediting workflow which explains the need for editing photos in depth, that way I can look at any photo and understand what all needs to be edited to give it a better look.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...g-workflow.htm

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/photoshop-training-videos
    http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials.html

My page: http://ninefivepm.zenfolio.com/

Real Name
    Albert Sim

TQ, ninefivepm.

Real Name
    Myra

Albert, I've gone through many of the tutorials from Adobe. Try: http://tv.adobe.com/channels/ As Colin said, I just pause videos and flip back and forth. I've also set up the laptop with the videos and worked from my desktop on the photos.

I have "The Adobe Photoshop CS5 book for Digital Photographers"(2011) by Scott Kelby. isbn 13:978-0-321-70356-9 As someone mentioned, he also has great training videos.

Have fun!

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Albert, I've gone through many of the tutorials from Adobe. Try: http://tv.adobe.com/channels/ As Colin said, I just pause videos and flip back and forth. I've also set up the laptop with the videos and worked from my desktop on the photos.

I have "The Adobe Photoshop CS5 book for Digital Photographers"(2011) by Scott Kelby. isbn 13:978-0-321-70356-9 As someone mentioned, he also has great training videos.

Have fun!
    One more PS website added to my favourites for my future ref.

TQ Myra.

Real Name
    Marc

There is a saying that real "Pros" using about 30 to 50% of everything Photoshop has to offer, i'm using myself maybe 2 to 5%, and quite being happy with this. Within the years i am happy to learn slowly more & more about PS. There are tons of literature about PS into the bookstores, or as digital download sometimes. Scott Kelby is a real pro, for instance. One good book is also - Photoshop CS5 - the Missing Manual from O'Reilly Media (O'Reilly usually like Addison-Wesley have great publications)

Greetings,
    marc

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Hi Geoff, good day to you.

After going thru this book learning and experimenting, I am really amazed by it, it is really a great book indeed. I had learnt a lot from there.

Thank you so much Geoff for your recommendation.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast