Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finally... Some Hummingbirds!

Real Name
    Kevin

Finally... Some Hummingbirds!

And they are hard to get. With the great weather I thought they would have been here sooner. These are two of my best today. A little bothered by my presence but in previous years they have landed on my shoulder while refilling feeders. I should be able to do better before the end of the season.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Finally... Some Hummingbirds!

Looks like I need to get my feeder out! I see that you are under 1/200 sec on these, Kevin. I'm guessing that they might be sharper if you boosted the ISO and increased the shutter speed as the F8 should give you enough DoF at this range.

Real Name
    Steve

Hope they will get here soon. My favorite bird to photograph. They always do something unexpected to make you smile.

Looks like you are a touch overexposed on these shots. I usually spot meter, in manual mode, and around O EV to +2/3 EV and adjust as needed.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Looks like I need to get my feeder out! I see that you are under 1/200 sec on these, Kevin. I'm guessing that they might be sharper if you boosted the ISO and increased the shutter speed as the F8 should give you enough DoF at this range.
    If you shoot as close as i do, f/11 and iso 1600 works well. I also added some light and a flash to keep my shutter speeds up. (still wasn't enough) Tough little bird to photograph, but alot of fun.

Real Name
    Bobo

Pretty good images. I am sure you will be getting super ones shortly.

Real Name
    Paul

Better than my first go at them. They are tough little guys to get well, but there are some helpful tips above.

Real Name
    Kevin

OK Frank, I'm still a little new. How did you know shutter speed and aperture? I do appreciate everyones comments, especially on how to improve. I will be applying them soon and posting results. Thank you.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Shooter View Post
    OK Frank, I'm still a little new. How did you know shutter speed and aperture? I do appreciate everyones comments, especially on how to improve. I will be applying them soon and posting results. Thank you.
    I have an add-in on my PC that can read the EXIF data if it is present in the posted image. It's a freeware download from http://opanda.com/en/iexif/.