Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Re Retouched

Real Name
    Terry

Re Retouched

I suspect I am going to regret this! On a number of levels!

But I guess there is only one way to find out!

Pertaining to Frank’s suggestion, an isolated area of a portrait retouch that can be loaded into Lytebox and toggled back and forth with the un-retouched version. It is, however, quite a severe crop and as such has some inherent problems. These are intended as practice versions only.

I probably won’t post before/after versions again. Just a finished product and let the chips fall where they may! Not much future in it here, either that or this shot is hopeless!

Some shaping, skin balance, wrinkle reduction among other things. Since he is a male-type, I avoided any skin softening.

Personally, about the only thing I could really think of to improve this guy is substituting Sean Connery’s face for his! While that would have made his wife happy, I think it might have been counter-productive! As it stands I had to do all retouching zoomed out as far as possible with my eyes closed!

Feel free to comment! I wonder what Sean would look like in a hat?

Before...

Re Retouched

After...

Re Retouched

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Re Retouched

Obviously there is no beauty light at your disposal.

Just cropped and enlarged far too much. There's only so much that software can do.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 19th April 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    Obviously there is no beauty light at your disposal.

Just cropped and enlarged far too much. There's only so much that software can do.
    There is no beauty light on the planet that can do what this guy needs!

I tried using the "pretty" tool in photoshop, but every time I tried the computer crashed and the fuses blew!

Oh well, I tried!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think that's a very good bit of retouching (I mean it).

This portrait of such a fine specimen of humanity struck me as a perfect candidate for application of the 'Draganizing effect'.

There has been discussion of this effect in the past on CiC. One link is here.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Sorry Terry, the effect that the over-sharpening has had on the skin just ruined the shot for me. In all other respects, it's great though.

I don't shoot many blokes, but you might like to compare the skin texture with this one that I did a couple of years ago (sharpening on the full resolution image was 0.3px @ 300% & 4 px @ 40% (then 0.3px @ 50% on the down-sampled image).

http://www.pbase.com/cjsouthern/imag...8/original.jpg

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think that's a very good bit of retouching (I mean it).

This portrait of such a fine specimen of humanity struck me as a perfect candidate for application of the 'Draganizing effect'.

There has been discussion of this effect in the past on CiC. One link is here.
    By golly Donald, I believe you may have suggested just the perfect beauty treatment this guy so desperately needs! It would certainly be a huge improvement!

When you are born “Draganized” it lasts a long time!

By the way? Those images are strangely compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Sorry Terry, the effect that the over-sharpening has had on the skin just ruined the shot for me. In all other respects, it's great though.
    No worries, Colin! And no need for sorrow!

Most of the problem here is that I followed the wrong advice knowing better. The crop is way too severe and way out of context. In context the problem sharpening wouldn’t be as apparent if it existed at all and I apologize for ruining it for you sir. I agreed with your assessment before posting, but posted anyway. Had this been shot as presented (i.e. head) rather than a hard crop with retouching, I think it would have been a better post.

My presentation with this post is not very good and I will rethink anything I do of this nature in the future. Including posting something like this at all.

Thank you for not only noticing, but saying, Colin. I also appreciate the comment on the other aspects.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Terry, the learning experience doesn't always produce stellar results but then it isn't meant for that. In this case we can now see what has been done and can provide effective feedback.

The eyes have been lightened and look more natural, the bags under the eyes have been softened, the double chin has been lifted but not too much, the wrinkles in the forehead have been eased but not too much and the wrinkles in the neck have been reduced. In short, you have done an excellent retouching job with what you had to work with and that learning experience will carry over into future portraits.

In addition, you have gotten feedback on lighting, sharpening, and skin texture. I agree with Donald, "that's a very good bit of retouching".

A smooth sea, a skillful mariner never made.

You could have avoided the criticisms but would you have learned as much by playing it safe?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

PS: To fix the over-sharpening, just chuck a gaussean blur on it with a radius of around 0.3 to 0.4 px.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Terry, the learning experience doesn't always produce stellar results but then it isn't meant for that. In this case we can now see what has been done and can provide effective feedback.
    And that is why I took your sage advice, Frank, and posted in this manner. Though it caused me some additional problems.

In addition, you have gotten feedback on lighting, sharpening, and skin texture.
    Yes sir. I have and consider myself very fortunate to not only to have received said feedback, but also from some of the photographers whose work I respect most, including you, sir. For that I am truly grateful.

A smooth sea, a skillful mariner never made.
    Frank, I just happen to be a professional mariner! A great and elegant quote but I could do with more smooth seas in my career! We have more colorful and off-key sayings in the business. The one coming to mind right now is "its my turn in the barrel"! And I won't do us all the disservice of explaining that if it is not understood!

You could have avoided the criticisms but would you have learned as much by playing it safe?
    Absolutely not, which is why I am happy to put myself and my efforts out there. Otherwise I just wouldn't have posted at all. I have no reason or desire to play it safe. That is the sole reason for this post. Though I could have done with a few calmer seas from time to time, I am no stranger to the Tempest and generally tend to thrive in it.

Thank you for taking the time to comment here, Frank. I truly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    PS: To fix the over-sharpening, just chuck a gaussean blur on it with a radius of around 0.3 to 0.4 px.
    Thank you Colin. I'll do just that if I post the shot again with this tight a crop.