Joe

Alligator mississippiensis...C&C Appreciated

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Alligator mississippiensis...C&C Appreciated

Joe, nice captures. I would love to be able to photograph these guys. I have a quite extensive reptile background...mostly large lizards, but these guys are just to cool. You second shot has a bit of a blue cast, I played with it and desaturated just the blue and it became my favorite of the three.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Paul...your edit does look better. I will do the same to the original. There are over a million alligators in Florida, not too hard to photograph but most times they are just laying around like logs, especially in the winter when they are cold.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Joe, nice captures. I would love to be able to photograph these guys. I have a quite extensive reptile background...mostly large lizards, but these guys are just to cool. You second shot has a bit of a blue cast, I played with it and desaturated just the blue and it became my favorite of the three.

Paul, i agree with you that the skin of the gator is a little blue, but this image doesn't have a blue color cast to it. (histograms don't lie) There is ,actually, a slight Green color cast though.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Joe, nice ones, I do like #2 best but #3 does have a certain menace about it!

I'm petrified of our local crocodiles but have always been drawn to photograph them. Unfortunately most of ours don't hang around long enough, most of the pictures I have look like a log on the riverbank.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Paul, i agree with you that the skin of the gator is a little blue, but this image doesn't have a blue color cast to it. (histograms don't lie) There is ,actually, a slight Green color cast though.
    Thanks for viewing and commenting, Steve.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by botspur View Post
    Hi Joe, nice ones, I do like #2 best but #3 does have a certain menace about it!

I'm petrified of our local crocodiles but have always been drawn to photograph them. Unfortunately most of ours don't hang around long enough, most of the pictures I have look like a log on the riverbank.
    Ahhh, but Florida has winter, especially in central Florida where I live. They are cold and much slower in the winter. Thanks for viewing and commenting, Clive.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Ahhh, but Florida has winter, especially in central Florida where I live. They are cold and much slower in the winter. Thanks for viewing and commenting, Clive.
    Just so you understand, joe, color cast effect the whole image, not just part of it. If you look at your histograms, the green channel is ahead of the red and blue, showing a green color cast. When the Red / Green / Blue channels are even on the right hand side, the White Balance is Neutral.

Real Name
    Paul

You are correct Sir and my bad for just looking with my eye and not checking the Histogram. I think I got tired and lazy. Although, even going back I could not get it right without cutting back on the blue. Cutting a bit of green on my edit above, did improve things further though.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 17th April 2012 at 12:20 AM.