Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Florida Landscape...Dawn C&C Appreciated

Real Name
    Joe

Florida Landscape...Dawn C&C Appreciated

The Florida landscape is flat, no mountains, no sweeping vistas, but in spite of this it is unique. This image I shot while out to photograph nature. I did not have a graduated neutral density filter so I exposed for the sunrise, turning all of the foreground into a silohuette...black, not detail. I recently learned how to use the graduated neutral density filter in Adobe Lightroom 4 and chose to practice on this image. Your comments and critique are apreciated.

Florida Landscape...Dawn C&C Appreciated

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Florida Landscape...Dawn C&C Appreciated

Well I think you did a pretty good job bringing back some detail in the forground. I like the fog and the layers of plant and trees. I think landscapes in that area for me would be difficult for the reasons you stated. I think you did fairly well here but have to wonder if you had moved around some, if you would have seen a even better composition. The area certainly looks interesting and will I think provide a good challenge.
    I am not sure but I get the feeling for a slight rotation raising the right side a little.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Well I think you did a pretty good job bringing back some detail in the forground. I like the fog and the layers of plant and trees. I think landscapes in that area for me would be difficult for the reasons you stated. I think you did fairly well here but have to wonder if you had moved around some, if you would have seen a even better composition. The area certainly looks interesting and will I think provide a good challenge.
    I am not sure but I get the feeling for a slight rotation raising the right side a little.
    Thanks Paul...I was heading out to shoot some birds with my wife and could not resist this shot...sun rising, early morning, and fog and mist over the marsh. I went back and forth about raising the right side then decided that it was an illusion because of the distance to the trees on the right side. Much further away than the trees on the left side. Keep on shooting my friend.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nice image indeed Joe. I think it has wonderful atmosphere.

Dave

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Very nice image indeed Joe. I think it has wonderful atmosphere.

Dave
    Thank you Dave...the photo is typical of the wetlands and marshes in Florida, of which there are many.

Real Name
    Mukesh Srivastava

Excellent image!!! You applied Grad. ND filter in Adobe Lightroom4 so well. I can see details in dark areas....Good job done!!!!

Real Name
    Bobo

Great image and pp.

Myself in this situation may have gone for a couple of hdr shots.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by mukesh View Post
    Excellent image!!! You applied Grad. ND filter in Adobe Lightroom4 so well. I can see details in dark areas....Good job done!!!!
    Thank you Mukesh, I appreciate your viewing and comment.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Great image and pp.

Myself in this situation may have gone for a couple of hdr shots.
    Thanks Bobo, nods to HDR but I do not have the software and most of what I see looks artificial (no shadows), in life there are shadows. I guess in certain circumstances it is a great tool, but then one must take multiple images and that doesn't fit my photography. When shooting nature I prefer to be able to be spontaneous, shoot butterflies, dragonflies, flying birds...whatever provides an oppurtunity. A tripod just does not work for me, so unable to shoot multiple images of the same scene which would be needed for HDR.