Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sugar Pine Walk

Real Name
    Jason

Sugar Pine Walk

Hi,

Finally, after being in the area for six years I spent the day with my family out exploring the Snowy Mountains region. The Sugar Pine Walk is just out of a little town called Laurel Hill and has been preserved as State forest due to its age. It was planted over 100 years ago and some of the pines are just majestic. We are hoping for a good snow season this year as this forest will look quite amazing in white.
    This is one photo that worked out, as in you can see things clearler than the others I took, I left the tripod in the boot of course, not thinking about the lighting once you are in amongst the trees. I shot with my 50mm as I am trying to stick with this lens and use my feet as my zoom and I find it is teaching me how to better frame a shot. Anyways I hope you like.

Cheers

J

Sugar Pine Walk

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Sugar Pine Walk

Hi jason, i could spend months photographing that area. What a beautiful place. The trees are magnificent!

Because of the flat light under the canopy, you need to punch up your edit a bit. Especially with the color saturation, color contrast, and small scale contrast . A little more blacks as well. I did a quick edit if you want to see it, let me know and i will post it .

A beautiful image, would look great printed large. Well done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Now, that is a dramatic image. You saw that wonderfully well, in my opinion.

I note Steve's points. You've also got a very strong candidate there for a B & W image, but it does work very well in colour.

Real Name
    Bobo

Great shot.

I have been trying to get a shot like this all winter but everything has conspired against me so far. Not that there is a lack of a similar setting, but more my lack of skill.

Real Name
    Jason

Hi Steve,

I did a quick edit if you want to see it, let me know and i will post it .
    , Yes thanks that would be helpful, I am not 100% on how to make the adjustment in PS but if I have something to go by I am sure to figure it out.
    Thanks Donald, yes black and white was one of my variations and I have attached that one, I seem to always be thinking of what every photo I take would look like in black and white
    Bobo I very much doubt in your lack of skill

Cheers

J

Sugar Pine Walk
    Last edited by jstp; 8th April 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Real Name
    John

That is one wild angle. Are you kneeling? Nice stuff.

Real Name
    John

Jason,
    very nice. Well done.

Real Name
    Jason

That is one wild angle. Are you kneeling?
    No John just standing and I was up on my toes, those trees are Tall!!

Thanks John (from Essex)

Cheers

J

Real Name
    james

WOW That was my first thought... I would like to finish with this,... WOW!!

Real Name
    Paul

Missed this...glad it popped up! I am a fan of well done tree shots and this is a mighty fine image. Well done Jason. Color one for me.

Real Name
    Steve

Sorry it took so long...............................

I increased the blacks---small scale contrast with unsharp mask set at 40% and 5.0---saturation with LAB mode (if you do a search, you'll find all kinds of tutorials on how to do it)---lightened the trees in the foreground just a touch using a layer mask and screen mode---edge sharpened the whole image.

Sugar Pine Walk

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Jason, if not skill then it is vision. Has to be some reason for my sucky/yucky landscapes.

Btw I like all variants. Steve's edit shows another way of doing it though the original looks mighty fine to me too. It is one of those shots that can be pp'd in a million ways and still look good.

Real Name
    Jason

Thank you all for the comments, I am glad that I have managed something that is appreciated.

Sorry it took so long...............................
    There was no rush Steve, thank you for taking the time to help and give some guidance. I am going to give it a go, I will probably end up with one thousand and one different variations

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    Thank you all for the comments, I am glad that I have managed something that is appreciated.

There was no rush Steve, thank you for taking the time to help and give some guidance. I am going to give it a go, I will probably end up with one thousand and one different variations

Cheers

J

Thats ok, but most importantly, it is YOUR variation. The one that incorporates the things you like about the image.

Photography is a form of art. You will never have your own style, or develope your skills, by copying what someone else does.

Real Name
    Jason

Hi again,

Seeing as I have no camera for the time being I have completed a re-edit of the orig pic. There is so much fun to be had editing photos when you can not actually take any

Cheers

J

Sugar Pine Walk