Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Magic Latern Firmware on Canon's

Real Name
    Russell

Magic Latern Firmware on Canon's

Hi, Has or does anyone used or use the Magic Latern Firmware on a Canon Camera. I DL'd it yesterday to try on my 600D backup camera. In AE mode the camera takes an age to take 9 exposures but in M it flies.
    If anyone else uses it can you please give your comments on it good or bad.
    Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Magic Latern Firmware on Canon's

I had to look that up to see what it was. So, Russ, I'm afraid the answer, in my case, to the question does anyone use it, is 'No'.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I had to look that up to see what it was. So, Russ, I'm afraid the answer, in my case, to the question does anyone use it, is 'No'.
    Hi Donald, Thank you for your reply.
    I undersatand it's main function is for movies but if like me you shoot with a Canon (up untill the latest pro camera) you can only have an AEB option of 3 exposures if you want to do HDR, as you probably already no unlike Nikon cameras you get AEB to 9 exposures.
    I have DL'd and put it on my 600D card (does not go onto camera) and tried it out for AEB, in AE mode it seems to run a bit slow between shots but in manual mode it is excellent IMO and to put on the card and run it is very easy.
    Thanks again
    Russ

Real Name
    Kathy

I use it. On my 50D. Loving having HD video capability, focus peaking, and the extended bracketing capability.

I only loaded ML a few weeks ago, and haven't had time to use it extensively, but I'm enjoying it. I haven't noticed anything like what you're mentioning, but as I said, I'm on a 50D, not a 600D, and on the 50D, the Unified build is still not completely developed, and the full feature set isn't supported, so I'm not sure I can help you.

But if you're using the bracketing features, you only have to hit the shutter button once and the whole bracket set will be taken. You don't need to manually take the shots yourself, as you do with Canon's AEB feature. Also, of course, the initial shutter speed you choose is going to cause more delay the slower you go and the range you choose will make it slower for larger values for the +EV shots.
    Last edited by inkista; 3rd April 2012 at 08:44 PM.