Real Name
    Jon

A little fun at the beach

Real Name
    Jen

Re: A little fun at the beach

I want to be where *you* are. We are just losing the last vestiges of hidden "shadow" snow... and are calling for snow again in about 3 days time. Guess I'll have one more try to get some snowfall shots. I'd rather get the sparkley, warm splashy water shots you have.

Real Name
    Jon

Another day in the surf. I am OK with shooting people this way because I don't have to pose them.

Second batch

1. Doesn't really work. It looks underexposed but more importantly you can't see the person's face so there isn't much in the way of a connection. The later ones with faces are just way better.

2. This one also looks a little under exposed to me and I think you may have cropped too tightly at the bottom. Is he standing on a board? If so you lost that, which detracts from the image.

3. Much better A great action shot, with a nice expression on his face and well framed. You haven't cut off the bottom or the outstretched arm.

4. Also a nice shot. Just a little too close at the top but a great expression and the kid in the wave looks great too.

5. Also a nice shot, especially as you get a strong connection due to the eye contact.

Basically you are shooting sports pictures where you are trying to capture a split second of action. The most important things to watch for are to get the focus spot on and to make sure that you don't cut off limbs. I know that when I first shot a local Rugby team I chopped off more limbs than a battlefield surgeon

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Jon, I think the first two are good family pics for sure. The contrast is very harsh and distracts me from the subjects. For me this is an impossible lighting situation
    The second set is underexposed as previously described.

Thanks