Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project 52 by Gillie

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Project 52 by Gillie

So, as a very new member, still trying to find my way around, here is my first offering, taken this week at some International Driving Trials in Florida Any and all advice warmly welcomed. Thank you for looking, Gillie Project 52 by Gillie
    Last edited by Donald; 1st May 2012 at 04:40 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

re: Project 52 by Gillie; week 1

Quote Originally Posted by gilliebg View Post
    So, as a very new member, still trying to find my way around, here is my first offering, taken this week at some International Driving Trials in Florida Any and all advice warmly welcomed. Thank you for looking, Gillie

Project 52 by Gillie
    Welcome to CiC, Gillie! Looks like you are off to a flying start. Good for you for taking up the challenge of Project 52 and I must say that although you didn't indicate what your goals were for this entry, it look like you fulfilled way more than most enthusiasts accomplish on their first image! Congratulations!

Real Name
    Louise

Welcome Gillie, great shot. Capturing a subject in motion requires skills as a photographer and knowledge of your camera. As a new comer myself, I wish my skills will get as good as yours. I find the horses well exposed and in focus. And what nice team this is!

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Re: Project 52; week 2

I have no idea if this is the way to continue this project, since I can't find my way back to the start of the thread. I am also confused by the details of equipment under my previous posting in this project, as it is not my stuff! I took this picture yesterday, and the subjects were lit only by the light from the aquarium, and subsequently in CS5 and NikColFX, (using focus points in the levels and curves filter). I did not have the equipment with me, ( a day at the zoo is hard enough without luggage)to light it, other than the camera flash, which I chose not to use. In these circumstances, bearing in mind a 6 yrold is not staying in the same place for longer than a minute or two, what would your suggestions be?

Project 52 by Gillie

D7000, Nikon 70-300mm VR, 1/50s, f5.6, ISO 1600, Focal length 70mm, handheld.

Thanks in advance for viewing and any suggestions. Gillie
    Last edited by gilliebg; 7th April 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thank you Louise; I do take a lot of photographs of showjumpers, but this was my first attempt at this sport. Gillie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I have no idea if this is the way to continue this project, since I can't find my way back to the start of the thread.
    Gillie

The post you have made above is the fourth in the thread. This reply from me is the fifth. If you scroll up the page you will find your first post, then a reply from Frank and a reply from Louise. So, the start of the thread is your first post.

As for the equipment you refer top, are you sure you are not looking at the bottom of the response from Frank, in whose 'signature' section he has listed what equipment the uses? I can't see any equipment listed elsewhere.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thank you Frank; my goals generally are to improve as much as possible, along the way and with whatever help I can muster! With this photograph I wanted to get the impression of the difficulty of manoeuvring a team of powerful horses as fast as possible through a tricky obstacle. This is difficult, especially to folk who don't know the sport. A good friend said he would prefer it without the wooden fence, which to my mind negates the whole idea! Gillie

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thanks Donald; I understand the equipment addition now! What I meant by the start of the thread, was the original instructions of how to join in the Project 52; I have since come across them and I think I am on the right track?

There aren't any firm rules about Project 52, Gillie, but there are a few guidelines here Project 52: Index and FAQ

Just name each week's exhibit with a new name and appropriate number to keep things 'tidy'. So keep going as you are.

Real Name
    Mal

Re: Project 52 by Gillie; week 2

Hmmm - I thought I'd already commented on your post before Gillie... but maybe not. So that being the case, welcome to the ever growing Project 52. Great to have another participant and what a way to start your thread - fantastic capture and I do agree the fence should stay as it shows them coming around a corner which adds to the feeling of speed.

Family excursions are always a challenge when it comes to lugging around photography equipment but I think what you've capture looks lit just fine. I might throw a bit more negatives space on the right but it looks fine as is.

On equipment that I take with me on an excursion, I generally take two lenses which is something I can comfortably carry - a zoom lens of some sort to suit the occasion which varies between a 17-70mm or a 55-300mm, and for the low light situations I always have my 50mm prime. The prime lens is small enough that adds very little weight to everything and has exceptional low light capabilities when combined with the D7000's high ISO capability - it really negates the need to carry a flash.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th April 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thanks Mal, for your comments and advice. I am interested in your selection of lenses, as I am thinking of buying a Tokina 12-24mm, and I see you have a Tokina lens. At the moment I have a Nikon 70-300 VR and a Sigma 18-200mm OS, both of which I take everywhere, and they are heavy lenses. I do have a 50mm as well, but I seldom seem to use it, although I love it when I do.
    I am still finding my way around the site, and need to catch up with pictures on the Project 52 thread; at the moment I find it difficult to find recent postings, even following someone;'s thread! I will work it out before long Gillie

Real Name
    Mal

Thanks Mal, for your comments and advice. I am interested in your selection of lenses, as I am thinking of buying a Tokina 12-24mm, and I see you have a Tokina lens. At the moment I have a Nikon 70-300 VR and a Sigma 18-200mm OS, both of which I take everywhere, and they are heavy lenses. I do have a 50mm as well, but I seldom seem to use it, although I love it when I do.
    I am still finding my way around the site, and need to catch up with pictures on the Project 52 thread; at the moment I find it difficult to find recent postings, even following someone;'s thread! I will work it out before long Gillie
    My Tokina is a very old lens back from when I had a film SLR. It's built like a tank and takes decent shots in bright light but I don't use it very often. The lens that you're looking at however, from the reviews I've read is a very good wide angle lens and I doubt you'd go wrong with it. I need to get a wide angle at some stage and the Tokina will certainly be on my consideration list.

In terms of lenses, you've got a fair cross over of ranges in the lenses that you take with you. Superzooms tend to compromise on image quality which is one of the reasons I tend not to use my Tokina very much. Then again, I'm more than comfortable with swapping lenses on the fly so for my money I would be carrying the 50mm and the 70-300 with your combination - or alternatively I'd pick up a 35mm prime just for the slightly wider coverage and move forward and backward for close range shots and have the 70-300 for when you need a zoom. I tend to know when I want to take wide angle shots well in advance so I'd know when to pull that lens out. It does depend on your style and preferences though but that's what I tend to do in any case.

There's plenty of material to catch and keep up with here so don't be too concerned about trying. I just stick to the Project 52 threads these days as those threads alone are enough to keep things interesting - and busy

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Re: Project 52 by Gillie; week 3

Project 52 by Gillie

My third post in this project; herons are easy to find in this part of the world; getting them to look interesting is another matter. I crept up on this fellow, sporting his breeding plumes, and thought that his portrait was nice against the blue/green background.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I would say that you have definately achieved the goal of getting an interesting pose and a nice sharp image with great bokeh, Gille. It might be a little on the dark side but you have certainly captured all of the detail!

Yes I was also wondering if this scene would take a fraction more on the highlights to increase contrast and the 'zap element'. But only very little would be needed.

Everything else is good.

Real Name
    Peter K

I think the Horse one is a fantastic effort! If the shutter had fired maybe half asecond later and the carriage had just pulled past the fence then I could not fault it.

I leave my pop up flash set to -2 stops and in the case of the aquarium shot I think I would have poped it up just to lift the highlights a little. You may have seen it in the glass though...

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Hi Peter, The fence is actually an obstacle, around which the driver has to manoeuvre his four horses and the carriage; had I waited then the first two horses would have already turned to the right, obscuring the fence. They are timed, and have to get through about ten obstacles on the course, (maybe more, I'm not sure) without incurring faults. It is very hard to get this apparent in a photograph; a good friend told me he would have preferred the shot had I cloned out the fence. My objective was to get the feeling of the team negotiating the obstacle. Maybe I should stick to showjumping Gillie

I would say definitely leave the fence, Gillie. Without that, there wouldn't be any apparent reason for such a dramatic change of direction for the horses.

Real Name
    Mal

A nice capture of the herron Gillie but I do agree with Frank and Geoff that some of the highlights need to be brought up a touch.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

I think you're right about the highlights, guys; I overdid the recovery slider a little. Thanks for pointing it out. Gillie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast