Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: This Old House

Real Name
    Terry

This Old House

This shot has 15 lighting zones and has been re-shot twice !

I’m still not so sure it is where I want it (lighting-wise), but I thought I’d see if I might get some feedback before (and if) I re-shoot!

This Old House

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: This Old House

What is your objective with this Terry?

It's a lot of effort to put into lighting and photographing a newish build fairly unremarkable house without ( IMHO ) much in the way of Architectural interest .

Sorry if that sound rude...I just don't get your fascination with it and if you could explain that I could comment better.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    What is your objective with this Terry?

It's a lot of effort to put into lighting and photographing a newish build fairly unremarkable house without ( IMHO ) much in the way of Architectural interest .

Sorry if that sound rude...I just don't get your fascination with it and if you could explain that I could comment better.
    Hi Sharon!

If you didn’t mean it in a rude manner, I certainly won’t take it as such! I apologize for not stating an objective. Thank you for asking. I also apologize for being unaware that it was required that a building must qualify as having “Architectural Interest” to post.

The objective was multi-fold, but it is not a matter of what was shot so much as a matter of how.

Firstly, it was an exercise in providing light. Yes, I could have just simply waited until dusk and shot it. In fact I did. The shoot started at the last of the good ambient and went on for about three hours. It was done with three speedlites and all but one zone was a single light. The exception was done with three lights. And you are right in that it was indeed an awful lot of trouble. I simply wanted to see if I could create lighting zones and what would be the result. Would I like the effect, could I pull it off, and what, if anything, could I learn about providing artificial light by doing this. To be honest, it was a lot more interesting than taking an in-camera reading and just firing one off and having done with it. Of course, that still wouldn’t have given it your “Architectural Interest”. It would still have been what it is, which you described.

On another level, post production was no less a PITA! I was working with sixteen different image layers (stacked) for the first round before progressing to tweaking a flattened image. Quite time consuming actually as they were all hand done. No stacking software used other than auto alignment. Every layer was individually masked for its own unique lighting zone. You see, I don’t have fifteen lights available to me. So I knew in order to even come close to pulling this off, I was going to get a lot of post production practice.

Other than that, I suppose the photo really has no other value (unless you consider the house is paid for and the roof doesn’t leak!). One day I may want to photograph some real estate. And there is a good possibility it will have some “Architectural Value”, at least to someone. Whether in a classic, historical, or commercial sense. When that day comes, will I want to just walk out there and fire off a couple of shots in ambient and call it a day? Or will I want to attempt to try something a little different?

Only one way to find out!

So I guess you could say I am just trying to expand my horizons a bit and see what I might come up with.

The lighting at far left is a little hot, but other than that, I think you did a grand job. Also, I find the house itself and the angles it provides in the composition very interesting.

I recently got a new computer and am not yet satisfied with my calibration. Images are brighter than what I'm used to seeing on my old monitor, so if my "little hot" comment seems wrong, that's why.

Bev

Real Name
    Sharon

i am so sorry to have upset you. Genuinely not my intention.

I live in Scotland and we don't devote that amount of attention or time to lighting our most historic castles and houses, so i just wanted to know why?

The answer seems clear to me now though, you 'love' this house and that totally validates all the time and effort spent...and you have a stated interest in Real estate photography...that makes sense to me. and you fulfilled that purpose extremely well.

The lighting is amazing although I find the sky a little too saturated .

....... Will you be able to use this system with other houses/ situations?

W hen you titled it this 'Old House' it confused me as it patently isn't old.
    Last edited by Daisy Mae; 27th March 2012 at 09:25 PM.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    The lighting at far left is a little hot, but other than that, I think you did a grand job.
    Hi Bev!

Thank you. I think you may be right about the left! Also maybe the second left (left side front) may also be a bit hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Also, I find the house itself and the angles it provides in the composition very interesting.
    Because of that it was also very difficult (at least for me) to light.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    i am so sorry to have upset you. Genuinely not my intention.
    Sharon I am not in the least upset. And certainly not with you. Although I did get a bit miffed at some dude that cut me off in traffic while talking on a cell phone today!

Thank you for commenting, Sharon. Coming from you, it means a lot. I've seen the quality photography you produce. I shot the ambient/sky/base shot with an ND filter and a longer shutter. I didn't do anything in post as regards saturation. I thought that may have been the case as well about the over saturation. Also my first shot with an ND and I was thinking to myself how much a longer shutter in ambient daylight really seems to soak up color.

I'm nowhere near a system, but it may be at least a start.
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 27th March 2012 at 09:52 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

I am glad Terry

It is a fascinating experiment and I look forward to seeing more now that I understand it is an excercise in lighting .

Thank you for your kind comments on my shots.

Real Name
    John

Hi Terry,
    I commend your commitment in taking the time to produce a very interesting picture. I too am currently trying to improve my lighting techniques and know how hard it is.
    I love the structure / composition of the picture and the house. I think having a vision and then working hard to try and reproduce what's inside your head is highly commendable.
    Well done, I enjoyed viewing and it's given me a few ideas that I will try myself.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Hi Terry,
    I commend your commitment in taking the time to produce a very interesting picture. I too am currently trying to improve my lighting techniques and know how hard it is.
    I love the structure / composition of the picture and the house. I think having a vision and then working hard to try and reproduce what's inside your head is highly commendable.
    Well done, I enjoyed viewing and it's given me a few ideas that I will try myself.
    Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to comment, sir.

Lighting is certainly a bit tricky for me at times, but it is not only interesting, can bring something else to a photo, but its just downright fun!

Hopefully we'll get to see some of the ideas you have come up with.