Liked the diversity of the colours and textures

English Country Garden

Comments welcome

Lincs1

Real Name
    Chris

Re: English Country Garden

Nice shot Nigel

If anything a slight pity the foreground corner of the garden seems to a be one-shade (mauves) planting....but I know you would have got into trouble digging up some reds and yellows from elsewhere and planting them in

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    Nice shot Nigel

If anything a slight pity the foreground corner of the garden seems to a be one-shade (mauves) planting....but I know you would have got into trouble digging up some reds and yellows from elsewhere and planting them in
    Thanks Chris

If it was my garden I would have done just that!

Lincs1

maybe its my monitor but the image seems very bright and washedout...overexposed...
    Last edited by kevinbythebeach; 21st June 2009 at 06:55 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    maybe its my monitor but the image seems very bright and washedout...overexposed...
    Perhaps check out your monitor Kevin, it looks OK here and I have dragged it off and looked at the blown highlights and they are only tiny dots at the very bright areas; I would have left them.

Looks OK at this end too. It is shot in bright sunlight so we are seeing some very dark shadows and some slightly blown highlights in places (hardly noticeable really) but not overexposed. The only thing is my eyes do not know where they are supposed to be focusing and that makes it a little flat for me.

Thanks Wirefox

I wanted to look through the garden to the house, and across the lovely colours and textures.

LIncs1

a man or a woman sitting on the roof would have surely increased or attracted the viewer or even sell it too tight a composition for such a subject

Real Name
    Chris

The composition may not conform to any rules, but IMO, it achieves what Nigel was trying to do and looks fine

Real Name
    Richard

When my monitor opened this image, it originally cut off the brick wall at the bottom of the image. I scrolled to reveal the entire image and realized that I liked it a lot better without the inclusion of the brick wall. Perhaps that is because some of the brick is very light in color and fights with the garden for my attention.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I see what you mean, a crop that removes the wall entirely (i.e. both bits), does produce a pleasant, balanced image.

The orange does rather 'fight' with the rest of the picture for attention, perhaps because it is quite highly saturated (probably in more ways than one).

Regards,

Real Name
    Chris

Removing the brick wall really does kill the composition. I suspect that what is happening is that the lighter coloured masonry, top and bottom, is framing the vegetation. I think the greens of the Cedar and similarly shaped shrub front left are strong enough to give the eye a 'rest point'. Had the bed been planted as a traditional English Country Garden with a variety of colours, at this time of year daisies, hollyhocks etc., it would have been even stronger. But it would still be welcome in my gallery as it is if I had taken it.

Thank you for the interest, and taking time to comment.

I prefer the wall in, if you crop above the wall it does not give any fore ground, I think if I was to do this again it probably would be more wall not less, want a little less overhead sun...beggars can't be choosers though.

Lincs1