Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: prism effect

Real Name
    Noel

prism effect

I took this at a recent outdoor (bottom of a cliff) sculpture exhibition. The exhibit was some sort of brass and glass prism, about twelve sided (not all same size) including door, rectangular faces with triangular panes forming the top. Glass was a mixture of transparent and reflective, plain and coloured. My son, Joel, is inside. I thought the psychedelic effect was spectacular. I understand that a prism breaks light into its colours by slowing it down, but do not understand the mechanics.
    I have posted this more for insights on the effect than the photograph. However, comments on what I could have done to make it a better shot are also welcome – even though I may never get the opportunity to photograph anything like it ever again. It was snapped quickly with my Lumix TZ10 compact in Auto mode, had to keep moving - F3.3, 1/25s, ISO400.

prism effect

Real Name
    John

Re: prism effect

Hi Noel,
    welcome to CiC.
    Am I also seeing a lady in there? Interesting effect and better viewed at it's larger size. I'll let the Tec. guys explain the lighting effect, I just enjoyed trying to make out what was what, certainly made me think.
    Cheers

Real Name
    Noel

Re: prism effect

hi John,
    Thanks for the cordial welcome. Well spotted, there are actually at least two women in the frame. One on the left covering Joel's right shoulder is behind the prism, and the purple one bottom right of shot is a reflection from in front. Thanks for looking and commenting, and lovely to make your acquaintance.
    regards,
    - Noel