Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Contented

Contented

This is my father in-laws cat. Somewhat on the big boned side She was resting on the table soaking up the sun that came through the window. This is what I was trying to capture.
    Any comments if it worked (or not) or what I could have done better is very much appreciated.

Contented

Canon EOS 550D
    Exposure Program Manual
    Camera Canon EOS 550D
    Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
    Aperture f/4.5
    Focal Length 50 mm
    Last edited by Skyline; 17th March 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Real Name
    Ludwig Keck

Re: Contented

This is a darling picture. Focus is right on. I would crop the top to the ear tip and the right side, maybe cutting out all of the paw.
    (P.S. Love your slogan!)

Real Name
    Myra

Dave, the capture itself is great. You certainly caught her in a moment of relaxation and contentment. Are you using a program that will allow you to play with the white balance? The whole photo has a gold cast. Understanding you were catching the sunlight, I'm just thinking that it might be toned down a bit to bring back more of the pet's actual colour. Using the white picker in levels might work, too. Just take that suggestion with a grain or salt; I could be missing the whole idea

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Dave, the capture itself is great. You certainly caught her in a moment of relaxation and contentment. Are you using a program that will allow you to play with the white balance? The whole photo has a gold cast. Understanding you were catching the sunlight, I'm just thinking that it might be toned down a bit to bring back more of the pet's actual colour. Using the white picker in levels might work, too. Just take that suggestion with a grain or salt; I could be missing the whole idea
    Thank you Myra. I have changed the white balance to what I hope shows more of the tabby colour.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is a darling picture. Focus is right on. I would crop the top to the ear tip and the right side, maybe cutting out all of the paw.
    (P.S. Love your slogan!)
    I'd hafta disagree with that crop suggestion. You lose all the sunlight. Plus I think it's the total mass of the (fat ) cat balanced on the edge that makes it a great shot.

Thank you Ludwig for the idea, but I do agree with Chris. Thank you both for looking and commenting

Real Name
    Ginny King

I am no pro...just know what I like and I like this shot. Agree with you and Chris regarding not cropping...I love "size" of the cat

Quote Originally Posted by Flurry View Post
    I am no pro...just know what I like and I like this shot. Agree with you and Chris regarding not cropping...I love "size" of the cat
    Thank you. She is a big girl, but still comes back with a mouse or two apparently. I think she pinches them off her slim sister that lives with her lol.

Tried a b&w of this.............. Yes or no?

Contented
    Last edited by Skyline; 17th March 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dave, I liked the original, but yes, definitely "Yes"

It still tells the story of basking in sunlight and is a simpler composition

Real Name
    Chris

Yup- the B&W is very nice

Real Name
    Terry

Dave, I'd have to give this one a big "Yes". And for the reasons Dave H. cited.

If I had to suggest something, it would be possibly easing off the brightness on the forward-facing ear and maybe lifting the shadows a bit on the camera left side of her face. Hoping to reduce the prominence of the ear and and increase the prominence of her eyes/face in relation. And hopefully making the face/eyes even more of a focal point in the image.

I like the color version but this one sings to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Dave, I'd have to give this one a big "Yes". And for the reasons Dave H. cited.

If I had to suggest something, it would be possibly easing off the brightness on the forward-facing ear and maybe lifting the shadows a bit on the camera left side of her face. Hoping to reduce the prominence of the ear and and increase the prominence of her eyes/face in relation. And hopefully making the face/eyes even more of a focal point in the image.

I like the color version but this one sings to me!

Thank you very much Dave and Chris

Terry. Thank you for your input. I have (I think?) done what you suggested. Any better? one must go from my flikr

Original...
    Contented

Original with Terry's touch....
    Contented

I myself like what you suggested and think it works on the picture. I have tried to be subtle, but sometime go to far. Is the second one ok?
    Last edited by Skyline; 17th March 2012 at 04:41 PM.

Real Name
    Terry

I'd have to give it another big "Yes" Dave!

I don't think you have overdone it at all.

Nicely worked, sir.

Ok. I'll keep that one Terry. Thanks for the help.