Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: good prices on transcend memory card

Real Name
    glenn

good prices on transcend memory card

hi guys i thought i would share this with you i was looking for a 16gb class 10 memory card ,and after doing a few searches i found one at a great price?.
    transcend 16gb class 10 sdhc memory card for £10.49 free delivery which i thought was a great price .
    i just thought you guys must buy a lot of cards ,so i just thought i would let you know about it.
    i did notice a vast difference in pricing of the exact same card with most expensive example on ebuyer.com priced at £21.24,i dont know how there can be such a large price difference.
    it just goes to show its worth shopping around.
    ps i got mine from play.com

Real Name
    Robin

Re: good prices on transcend memory card

When I shot on film I always bought the best film for the job I wanted it for - scroll forward and I always buy the best card I can for my digital cameras.

Nothing wrong with saving a few quid but personally I'd rather put my faith in a good card rather than a cheap card.

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    When I shot on film I always bought the best film for the job I wanted it for - scroll forward and I always buy the best card I can for my digital cameras.

Nothing wrong with saving a few quid but personally I'd rather put my faith in a good card rather than a cheap card.
    hi robin i get your point ,but i thought transcend was a reasonable brand and that class 10 was the right level.
    i am new to the world of dslrs ,and will always take advice that is given.
    i take it you dont think that is a reasonable card to use.
    glenn

Real Name
    Glenn Runyan

Who manufactures the Transcend card? I am always leery of low priced cards from manufacturers that I don't know.

I just ordered another Lexar 16gb 10 rated myself.

Glenn

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'm sure Play.com are good Glenn, but anyone else taking advantage of a really cheap 'deal' on a named brand from an unknown supplier (esp. out east) is probably going to be taken advantage of.

In other words; beware of clones/fakes

Real Name
    Cristian Alexe

Transcend is a honorable company. Just check their site, they are manufacturers, they make also memory storage for industrial applications, far more demanding than photo/video applications. Some years ago I had enogh to pay double on Sundisk / Lexar and after some analysis I switched to Transcend. Never had a problem with these since then. And I did use them in some non-friendly environments: in the Danube Delta, in winter at -20C outside temperature, when shooting in swimming pools at competitions, etc.. The fact that I did not had a problem is statistically not relevant, but you may check forums and observe a relatively low rate of complains.

You may observe that Transcend makes also high-end cards, like those with transfer rates higher than 90MB/s. Notable is that they indicate concrete specfications for their cards (at least for those I use, I did not check everything). At Sundisk I saw specs like "30MB/s, write speed may be lower". This is a bad joke! How comes this - "may be lower"? How much lower? For me write speed is one of the most important parameters. It is my first buying criteria in order to have low empty-buffer-time with burst mode.

Video on dSLR is much less demanding regarding storage cards. Class 10 is more than enogh and such cards are offered by lots of manufacturers.

In my opinion Transcend cards are not cheap; Sundisk/Lexar just are far too expensive.

Real Name
    glenn

interesting replies,thanks guys.
    i will give the new card a try and see how it performs i have been buying items from play.com for many years now and never had a problem.im talking,dvds,music,gadgets,electronic items etc.
    i wonder sometimes if ,as christian said ,we all get caught up in this way of thinking ie" if its cheap dont buy it,but is this the right way of thinking.maybe just maybe christian is right .ie transcend are not cheap its just that sandisk and lexar are too expensive.
    a quick example is in the uk we have jessops camera stores,dont know if they are global or just a uk thing ,but anyway you can guarantee you will pay 4 times as much for an item compared to online.but people still use the store,is this just because its a trustworthy retailer.my point is this are there items any better than online retailers ,i dont think they are.
    would love to here more replies with regards to pros and cons of this kind of thing.
    glenn

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Hi, I have used transcend cards for years... As well as scandisk. I have had no problems with either card. As for write speed I take landscape still life etc. NOT worried about write speeds.

Bought mine from Premier Inks last year 16 GB 14.99 I think..

Regards

David

Real Name
    Robin

First off there's nothing wrong with Transcend cards. Of the thousands and thousands I have dealt with in the shop they are about as reliable as most........but.......let me explain why I personally prefer to use Sandisk.

Transcend like many other card manufacturers make memory cards for digital cameras because another part of their company happen to produce flash memory and they decided it would be a good money earner to bung some in a SD shaped bit of plastic and flog them to digital camera users.
    Sandisk on the other hand have spent countless years working directly with the camera manufacturers making sure their cards are exactly what is needed to get the best from the latest generation of DSLR and they have spent the same time working with professional photographers refining their cards so they meet their demands.

Is that a daft reason to buy them? I don't think so. I like the idea that the card I have in my camera works the way it does because it was designed to be the best it possibly can. I know (in the case of the SD cards I use) that they are waterproof, crush proof and have proven to be reliable in the most extreme conditions imaginable. I would be surprised if I need that level of build but it is there and it is there because photographers and camera manufacturers have asked it to be there. Cost is always an issue with amateur photographers, we do this as a hobby and while most can indulge in that hobby, to a degree in which if we're honest we don't need to, there does have to be a limit and a bit of common sense. Professional photographers are entirely different. Reputation and reliability is everything, so the cost of a equipment is irrelevant - it working no matter what happens is vital.

That is why some cards cost more than others and that is why I don't mind paying a little extra for them.

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    First off there's nothing wrong with Transcend cards. Of the thousands and thousands I have dealt with in the shop they are about as reliable as most........but.......let me explain why I personally prefer to use Sandisk.

Transcend like many other card manufacturers make memory cards for digital cameras because another part of their company happen to produce flash memory and they decided it would be a good money earner to bung some in a SD shaped bit of plastic and flog them to digital camera users.
    Sandisk on the other hand have spent countless years working directly with the camera manufacturers making sure their cards are exactly what is needed to get the best from the latest generation of DSLR and they have spent the same time working with professional photographers refining their cards so they meet their demands.

Is that a daft reason to buy them? I don't think so. I like the idea that the card I have in my camera works the way it does because it was designed to be the best it possibly can. I know (in the case of the SD cards I use) that they are waterproof, crush proof and have proven to be reliable in the most extreme conditions imaginable. I would be surprised if I need that level of build but it is there and it is there because photographers and camera manufacturers have asked it to be there. Cost is always an issue with amateur photographers, we do this as a hobby and while most can indulge in that hobby, to a degree in which if we're honest we don't need to, there does have to be a limit and a bit of common sense. Professional photographers are entirely different. Reputation and reliability is everything, so the cost of a equipment is irrelevant - it working no matter what happens is vital.

That is why some cards cost more than others and that is why I don't mind paying a little extra for them.
    hi again robin thankyou for your detailed and well constructed opinion.that is what i was looking for from my question and you have answered it well.
    i cant see me having any problems with this card i hope,