Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which camera brand do you find best?

Real Name
    Kiki

Poll: Which camera brand do you find best?

Ex: Nikon and Canon, etc.

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Poll: Which camera brand do you find best?

I shoot Nikon, I cannot say it is better never having used a Cannon.

Very few actually own both brands, so comparative evaluation isn't usually possible, and those that do may not have comparable models.

There are a few that change from one brand to another (usually because of a perceived difference), and they may have opinions (not necessarily more than opinion).

In truth there is no "best" of virtually anything. To evaluate "best" requires a very strict and limited set of parameters.

Generally speaking "best" is what I own and use, and if you have the same brand then you are smart too.

Glenn

Real Name
    Kiki

correction, which one do you favourite and why.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, If you are thinking of buying a new camera then it would be better to go onto something like Yahoo and search Canon V Nikon V ? V ?
    There are loads of test sites out there and opinions.
    Russ

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, If you are thinking of buying a new camera then it would be better to go onto something like Yahoo and search Canon V Nikon V ? V ?
    There are loads of test sites out there and opinions.
    Russ
    What's 'V'?

Real Name
    Kiki

Versus.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredShutter View Post
    Versus.
    Or a TV program about space people

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Kiki

You'll find that you've asked one of those questions for which there will never be a clear answer.

The fact is that the manufacturers all know exactly what it is each others cameras can do and because they're competing with each other, these cameras tend to end up being very, very similar in what they do.

So people are likely to tell you that their favourite is the make and model that they use. People who own Canons and people who own Nikons like Nikons. And then there are the people who have a Sony or Pentax or Olympus or Panasonic etc etc.

Like Russel says above, you can read lots of review sites that try and compare one against another. But the truth is that if you are looking to but a new camera the best thing you can do is, first of all decide how much you can spend (and remember you've got to get memory cards, batteries, a lens (if that's not part of the package). So, it can mount up.

The once you have decided that, check out all the cameras that are available in that price range. Go into a camera store and ask to see them and be allowed to handle them. The read about them online.

And then decide which 'feels right for you. And go for it.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kiki,

I can see why this is causing problems, due to the unique nature of the DSLR/similar camera systems, once people start investing in lens, they are very unlikely to scrap that investment and change to another brand.

Probably less 5% of members will have personal experience of more than one DSLR brand.

I have owned Nikon SLRs, both back in film days and now digital, but I have also owned Canon rangefinder and Digi P&S cameras, but I still cannot say which is "best"; it is like comparing apples and oranges.

As has been said somewhere else here recently, there is far, far more variety between models within one brand, than between brands.

If you start comparing similar models across brands, then what makes one model better than another will be different for different people; I like having a tilting LCD screen, but that doesn't mean cameras without that feature would be no good for you.

If you push, you'll get a lot more replies like Glenn's pragmatic view; what anyone owns must be their best because it is all they know. If you were to count votes, all you will discover which brand is owned by most people. I can tell you that now; Canon, followed by Nikon, followed by ????

Does it mean Canon are best; no, I don't believe it does, successful brands are more often determined by things such as effective marketing and support rather than the technical merit of the hardware - history is littered with such examples; VHS over Betamax, etc.

Bear in mind also that availability of both hardware and especially support, varies widely from country to country. What suits me in the UK may not be so valid for you in Canada or another member on the opposite side of our planet.

Does that explain the situation in a helpful way?

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Kiki,

I am assuming you are just starting with digital photography. If this is not true then I apologise.

A nice way to start is to pick the same brand as someone you know. Then you can ask advice and, even better, borrow their equipment. If you do not know anyone with a DSLR then you can ask here for advice. Unfortunately you cannot borrow equipment here.

I would start by going to a large camera shop and looking at the different brands in your price range. You can then get a feel for each make. One may just feel better to you. As others have pointed out the differences are very small. What is more important is to be happy with the equipment you choose.

Also note that the cost does not stop at the camera. There are many lenses and the cost of these can soon add up. Also note that it is more important to get a good lens than a good camera. The lens is what focusses the light. No lens is perfect. However some are less perfect than others. You should try and get the best that you can afford. The lens will last much longer than a camera body.

You may also want to save some money for image processing software (although there is a lot of good free software available) and perhaps a tripod depending on what you are photographing.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Real Name
    Robin

Which is best?
    There is no such thing.

Which is best for you within your budget and at the time you actually ask the may be a better question.
    Pick a budget and you will find one or possibly two cameras that are 'better' within it. Go up £100 or go down £100 and the camera and the brand will change. It is also a fluid question in that there are cameras coming to the market on a monthly business and it stands to reason that they will be 'better' that the ones they replace. My job is an interesting one and I love it. I have the opportunity to play with and use just about every camera going on a daily basis. I have experience (limited I agree in some cases) with every camera that exists within the members here and I have to answer question on them with some level of conviction every day. I would have to say there isn't a 'best' camera brand. I personally prefer Nikon - they aren't better quality, they aren't better built, they aren't more reliable......they aren't better anything to be honest I just prefer the overall design, handling and texture of their pro bodies. I always have and likely always will - if I won the Lotto I would, given a choice of ANYTHING, still raid Nikon's catalogue.

Another way of looking at it is this: There is no such thing as a bad camera, actually there is no such thing as a camera that isn't capable of fantastic photographs. Some of the best photographs I've seen in recent years have been taken on a phone. They're not the best quality but that is irrelevant - honestly it just doesn't matter what pixels you have, what ISO you can use, what the lens cost, how many features your camera has, it all boils down to how good the person behind the lens is.

Real Name
    Mal

Kiki's already got a DSLR - a Nikon D3000 or 3100 I'm guessing from the size of the body in one of her self-portraits.

For me, I went down the Nikon path because I had an old lens that I wanted to try and re-use from a film SLR from many years ago. My wife Kerry then ended up with a Nikon as well so we could shoot the same lenses. However she had a Canon film SLR before that.

Our transition from film to digital SLRs saw us end up purchasing a few bridge cameras on the way - mainly a Fuji Finepix and a Panasonic Lumix - both capable cameras for what we were doing at the time (point and shoot ). I think no matter brand you end up with, you become comfortable using it and the way it works over time so it doesn't really matter. It's just that investment in lenses that keeps you sticking with the same brand. I suspect that if all the SLRs had the same mount such that you could use any lens on any camera easily, you might see more people swapping back and forth between brands.

Real Name
    Ian

Having been shooting in a studio with a Phase One kit today, (IQ180, that costs more than your average exec car) you might say that this is best. If you do high end fashion, it probably is, as you will have demanding clients, but if you are shooting for pleasure, or in low light, it would be dreadful investment.

There are not many brands I have not used over the years, but would hesitate to push anyone into a particular brand, because they all have their merits.

Look at the lens choice and what you plan to shoot with it.

Then look at your budget.

Try a few out for yourself, but only have part of an ear open when you ask for recommendations, as most folk will tell you their x or y brand is best.

However, probably best to play safe and stick with the big two. N and C. And stick with what you decide otherwise swapping and buying new lenses will set you back a small fortune as they are rarely compatible. Four thirds cameras being the exception, but maybe Olympus might be a dubious choice at present given their precarious position.
    Last edited by shreds; 8th February 2012 at 01:23 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

IMO, most of the differences between DSLR cameras are in the controls and ergonomics. Virtually any DSLR will, if matched with a good lens, be able to shoot excellent images.

I would say that the differences between cameras are greater within the various grades of cameras within a brand than between two equivalent grades of Nikon - Canon. I haven't documented this but I strongly suspect it.

Ergonomics can be major factor in whether a camera would be suited to you and whether you might or might not enjoy shooting with the camera.

I once had a camera that I detested using for ergonomic reasons:, the Canon XT or 350D. I did not like it for a very silly reason, the camera shooting mode was changed by pressing a button on the rear of the camera, to the right of the LCD. My problem was due to the small size of the camera and the large size of my hands combined with how I hold a camera; my right thumb automatically rested right at that button. I would often inadventently change the shooting mode. Whenever I pressed the shutter button and the self-timer would begin to cook off, I would say to myself "Gosh (you can substitute any X-rated word you desire - I used them all at one time of another) I did it again!"

You would think that I could break myself of that habit but, I could not. Since I had no problems when I shot my larger Canon 10D camera (which IMO had a better control system), I gave the XT to my son-in-law (who has no problem because his hands are smaller than mine) and I bought a 30D to use along with my 10D. I followed up with a 40D and shot for years with the 30D and 40D cameras (haaving the 10D in reserve). But, a while ago, I used the old 10D which was on its last legs as a trade in for a 7D on the Canon Loyalty program.

I just love my three Canons. I like the 7D best, followed by the 40D and 30D in that order. However, I really don't see a lot of difference in image quality between the three (see my China galleries which were all shot using a 30D and a 40D at: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/ ) but, the 7D is a bit more capable regarding auto-focus and has several bells and whistles which the 30D and 40D lack. I love the control systems on all these cameras but, the 7D wins hands down for ease of controlling.

Probably the most important parameter in image quality is the lens. However, even the very inexpensive kit lenses will produce very good to excellent image quality, especially if tripod mounted and shot around f/8 or f/11. More expensive lenses such as the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and the very expensive Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens also produce excellent image quality and are more versatile in that they have a larger aperture and can produce better imagery wide open. Therefore they can be used in lower light levels without flash.

That said, a hotshoe flash such as the Canon 430EX ii or 580EX ii (I use the older 550EX and 430EX which work just fine) used correctly will increase the versatility of any camera/lens combination, both for shooting indoors and for fill-light outdoors. A flash and a decent tripod will go a long way in leveling the playing field between the least expensive kit lenses and the most expensive glass. Despite, some claims to the contrary, a bounced flash modified with a diffuser/reflector can produce very natural looking and pleasing light.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 8th February 2012 at 02:37 AM.

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

To my mind there is simply no such thing as a 'best' camera.

There are good and bad aspects to any camera - I think the criteria should be what suits you best. As I and others have mentioned, the ergonomics is very important, as much as the number of pixels or coffee-making facilities...

For someone who has never handled/used a DSLR before my advice would be to readup on what 'features' people use most, then go and play with a few cameras, in a decent camera shop. The people there will be able to tell you the strong points, and you do the rest - does it feel right? Can you reach all the buttons you'll think you need? Are there (honestly) too many functions I simply won't use?

All these, to me, are more important than "Is it in my price range?" - but that comes next. It would be ridiculous to buy a $5000 camera to use as a point and shoot...having said that, if you've got the cash, why not!!

Ian

Well, I've started out with Olympus, then went to FujiFilm in earlier digital photography days. In 2006 I found only Nikon and Canon were developing cameras towards my needs anymore, and after pouring over the technology stats, optical quality of lens range, sample images etc. for several weeks, I eventually landed on Nikon. Not ever since that point did I regret it. Most of my photo jobs are concerts and portraits, and in that range of lenses Nikon has the best glass hands down (Canon has nothing that can touch the Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 G ED AF-S, the 70-200mm F/2.8 VR II or (back then) the 85mm F/1.8, now F/1.4)

Low light performance of the sensor is my most important niche, and Nikon has always been hands down far and above Canon in that aspect.

When it comes to the consumer range of DSLRs, Nikon's are more professional-able as well, both in build quality and number of functions.

So I can't see me using Canon any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredShutter View Post
    Ex: Nikon and Canon, etc.
    Pentax is the best.
    Specifically - Pentax K5.
    And I can prove it!

1. Look here and see that K5 is the highest rated 'non-monstrous' camera of all.

2. Go to a place, where you can see a lot of people with cameras. Observe what they have. 49% will have Canon, 49% will have Nikon, 2% will have Sony. NOBODY will have Pentax. You will be the only one! You will be different!

3. Ask Canon and/or Nikon camera owners - how often do they get "wow, what a cool camera you have!" from total strangers? Now, ask me (a K5 owner, as you've already guessed )... And I'll tell you - I get more compliments about my camera, than about my pictures! Well, that's probably telling more about my skill as a photographer than about my camera, but still...

Disclaimer: The above is NOT a solicitation to buy a Pentax, meant as a joke, AND I can just as easily prove that you should NOT buy Pentax, as that you should.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Which camera brand do I find best?
    The one that I have with me at the time I want to take a shot that will allow me to take the shot that I want to take.
    Some people shoot camera phones and get far better pics than I can take.

I've heard it said many a time that cameras nowadays are better than they were x number of years ago. So which is best depends on your reference point and what you are comparing against.

My piece of string is 77m long.

Graham

Real Name
    Peter

Ninon? Cakon? Or Soji...Funi?

Here, at least, is part of the answer

Oh, and 87.2% of statistics quoted in the pub are wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast