Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Are We Having Fun Yet?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Are We Having Fun Yet?

I like to post some fun pictures once in a while that don’t have to be technically great.

While on the volcanic island of Lanzarote in the Canary Islands, we had an opportunity of going for a ride across the volcanic desert in the Timanfaya National Park on a dromedary camel.

The camels seem take an inordinate interest in their passengers. All dangly bits (of clothing) had to be kept well out of the way of their munching mouths, and the rocking motion is punctuated by the lurching acts of their initial standing and terminal kneeling.

Are We Having Fun Yet?

For some reason, our camel wasn’t muzzled!

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Our camel immediately took a liking to some kids on the camel in front of us.

Are We Having Fun Yet?

I’m not sure the kids were as enamored with the camel as he was with them.

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Particularly not when the camel was looking for something to munch on!

Are We Having Fun Yet?

The camel seemed to get a great laugh out of the boy’s reaction – until the handler noticed what was going on and muzzled him!

Are We Having Fun Yet?

The rest of the trip was far more peaceful and a great time was had by all – well, maybe not so much for the camel as I was wearing my heavy socks that day!

Are We Having Fun Yet?
    Last edited by FrankMi; 11th March 2012 at 12:04 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Are We Having Fun Yet?

Just exactly where did you get to on this trip? You seem to have been round about half of Europe so far!

Great set of fun pictures. Who's the old guy with the nice lady in the last one?
    Last edited by Donald; 10th March 2012 at 07:48 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Haha, very nice.

Yes, an excellent series of shots.

Real Name
    Richard

Quite a neat series of shots, Frank. I never connected Camels (dromedaries) with the Canary islands..

Real Name
    Chuck

I need more information on this trip. There are times I would gladly feed my kids to a camel.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Just exactly where did you get to on this trip? You seem to have been round about half of Europe so far!

Great set of fun pictures. Who's the old guy with the nice lady in the last one?
    Hi Donald. We had one chance to get to Rome on the airline tickets we received for being bumped off a flight so we tried to make the best of it by booking two discounted cruises on the Costa Serena (sister ship to the Concordia). The first cruise did the eastern Mediterranean and the second did the western Mediterranean including Morocco and the Canary Islands.

The gal is my young bride. I’m not sure who the old fart is but I occasionally see a reflection of him early in the morning through sleepy eyes!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Bobo, Geoff, and Richard! Starting in 1730, a six year long volcanic eruption on the southern end of the island devastated the landscape and owing to being less than 700 meters high, Lanzorote captures less than 150 mm of rain per year from the trade winds. This results in the island being a volcanic desert. The dromedaries were imported from Morocco for agriculture as they can go over 10 days without water.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    I need more information on this trip. There are times I would gladly feed my kids to a camel.
    LOL! You may be dissapointed, Chuck. I don't think the camels actually 'eat' the kids, just scare the h#$% out of them!