Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photos From Northern California

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Photos From Northern California

I have been visiting in Northern California and have had opportunity to take a lot of pictures. I already posted one image from this trip (Mossbrae Falls) but rather than a bunch of separate posts, I'll share some of my images in this post. I'm really enjoying the photo ops and look forward to more next week.

Chuck

First up is a train photo. I saw this location last year and decided to hang out there for a shot of a train below Mt. shasta. This is actually an HDR image of the background before the train arrived then I shot the train from the same location and placed it in the HDR image. Sort of like some of the self portrait shots. I guess I could have put myself in the middle of the tracks trying to outrun the train.

This image has been processed with a painterly look so I'll post it withou that effect for comparison. I like both.

Now, the same immage with a different crop and without the painterly effect:

This is Mount Shasta above the Shasta River. It's about a mile up river from the ranch I grew up on (and subject of my book). This is an important location as a major tributary known as Big Springs enters the Shasta here. It's also an HDR image:

I got a lot of other shots on this trip and they are on my website but I'll cose this post with this picture of Hedge Creek Falls. It's not the best shot I got of the falls but it's interesting because you can walk behind the falls....so I shot this through the waterfall.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Photos From Northern California

Well Chuck,

.. your standards certainly haven't dropped with increased opportunities, these are all excellent.

I prefer the crop of #1 to #2, but possibly only because I like trains (and it's bigger in shot in #1)

My tip for anyone viewing your site is to use the 'Dim the lights' option and just flick through and enjoy.

Thanks for sharing,

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Dave...I'm finding my interest in trains growing....at least as a photographic subject. It's sort of like fishing....find what looks like a good spot , set up and wait. It's also important to have the sun angle working for you so I sometime go early or late to catch the sun at a particular location.

Chuck

I really like the shot of Mount Shasta, also like the painted effect of the 1st image.

Mount Shasta is a beautiful composition as is hedge Creek Falls. Excellent work

First and third are my favs, I will try the same locations some time

~Ajith

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by ajith.rajeswari View Post
    First and third are my favs, I will try the same locations some time

~Ajith
    Go for it Ajith....it's a target rich environment.

Chuck