Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe
    Lake Tahoe
    Lake Tahoe

Re: Lake Tahoe

1. A nice picture that should have been shot either earlier or later in the day (which ever time would have had the sun behind you). It needs to be straightened and suffers from both vignetting and flare.

2. A nice, well exposed snow scene. When doing compositions with a definite horizon and a definite main subject, try and follow the rule of thirds to acheive a more pleasing composition.

3. Another nice image. I would suggest you crop the foreground to lower the horizon (rule of thirds) and eliminate the distracting black line at the bottom of the picture.

Real Name
    Adrian

I pretty much agree with tirediron's remarks except that in picture 1 I have no problem with the sun being there. Sometimes this creates a nice effect and although flare can be annoying in some images, sometimes it creates an arty effect that is not distracting. of the three images I much preferred No. 1

Quote Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
    1. A nice picture that should have been shot either earlier or later in the day (which ever time would have had the sun behind you). It needs to be straightened and suffers from both vignetting and flare.

2. A nice, well exposed snow scene. When doing compositions with a definite horizon and a definite main subject, try and follow the rule of thirds to acheive a more pleasing composition.

3. Another nice image. I would suggest you crop the foreground to lower the horizon (rule of thirds) and eliminate the distracting black line at the bottom of the picture.
    Thanks for the comments..
    I completely admit your comment for pic 1 but the situation was that I was on a way to a different place and was running out of time to stay in this place for the best time to shoot..but I really wanted a pic with those trees with the background..a good pattern i liked..
    It was shot mid noon..so my only option to get the shot in my required angle was when the sun goes under the cloud...so it happened

Pic 2.I thought about the rule of third while i was framing the shot but he was walking towards me and I liked the background in this frame giving me little time to think for second time .... (There was road on left and some irregular stones on the right side on this frame .)

A closer shot of the third pic..(Just to show you what it is :-) )
    Lake Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I pretty much agree with tirediron's remarks except that in picture 1 I have no problem with the sun being there. Sometimes this creates a nice effect and although flare can be annoying in some images, sometimes it creates an arty effect that is not distracting. of the three images I much preferred No. 1

Thanks ...you are thinking in the same way I thought that time :-)

I agree. I think having sun in the picture and having flare is perfectly acceptable. In fact, I point my camera in to the sun for effect. I'll post some examples.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Raycer View Post
    I agree. I think having sun in the picture and having flare is perfectly acceptable. In fact, I point my camera in to the sun for effect. I'll post some examples.
    Cheers
    Thanks ..like to see those pics

Just to explain my comment concerning pic #1, I don't have an issue with the flare; I agree that it adds to the picture, but in this case the position of the sun "tricked" the light meter, resulting in very under-exposed snow, which I feel detracts from the overall quality of the image. This is a very difficult exposure situation - in this case I think the daylight exposure rule would have produced an image with more pleasing over-all exposure. EC or multiple images for an HDR merge would have been other options.

Hope that clarifies my meaning,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
    Just to explain my comment concerning pic #1, I don't have an issue with the flare; I agree that it adds to the picture, but in this case the position of the sun "tricked" the light meter, resulting in very under-exposed snow, which I feel detracts from the overall quality of the image. This is a very difficult exposure situation - in this case I think the daylight exposure rule would have produced an image with more pleasing over-all exposure. EC or multiple images for an HDR merge would have been other options.

Hope that clarifies my meaning,
    John

Yes I too feel that HDR would have been better ..
    Thanks ..

Real Name
    Ian

Tired Iron sums it all up nicely and in the first shot which is my favourite, I would perhaps have offset to trees to one side if possible and tried to lose the flare by repositioning or cropping the final shot.

Thanks Shreds..