Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigger camera bag

Real Name
    Kenny

Bigger camera bag

Hi

I've been using a Lowepro SlingShot 200AW for quite a while and was perfectly happy with it. I recently bought a 70-200 2.8 L lens and now if I want to carry that with other lenses in the same bag, it becomes too much to fit in, and the weight is too much for a one shoulder strap bag.

Can anybody recommend a bag in the same price range that would accommodate the 70-200 (mounted...?) along with 2 lenses and 2 flashes + triggers etc.

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Bigger camera bag

Kenny,

I'm currently using a couple backpacks... I originally was using a Canon Professional Gadget Bag 1-EG ($65), and while it could hold almost every piece of gear I owned at the time, it was just a bit too heavy and really would hurt my shoulders after a little while - much like you're probably experiencing. So, I first bought a Tamrac #5375 Adventure 75 ($135) and really liked it, but it doesn't carry nearly as much gear (though it does carry my gripped 7D + 1 long lens + multiple smaller lenses + flashes + etc with no problem). So I went back to looking at bags and discovered the Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG ($39 - yes, you read that price right... only $39!) - it is the exact same size and has many of the same features of the Tamrac Adventure 75. Yeah, it does have some features that aren't as refined (like the rain flap on the main zipper isn't as nice), but at that price it is a highly impressive backpack. I purchased one of the Canon backpacks and now use it as my secondary bag - when I head out, I usually take both backpacks, and then when I get to my shooting location, I load up the Tamrac, but can always return to the truck to swap out lenses from the Canon backpack.

There is also the Tamrac Adventure 74 ($99), but I wonder if that wouldn't work as well to carry what you need.

Hope this helps!

- Bill

Real Name
    Kenny

Thanks Bill.
    But it looks like I can't get those here. I just checked online shops here. The only Tamrac Adventure series are the 7 and 10, both of which are much more expensive. The Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack is listed at $85, but also states that current location of goods is in USA.. So I could just import that one myself for less. I'll look into getting that from Amazon or other sites.

Real Name
    Pierre

Something to remember about larger bags/packs. They carry more and we generally tend to pack more if there is space. Hence the bags get HEAVY. I have the Tamarac Expedition 7. I carry a long lens mounted to a gripped 7D, 5DII body, and multiple lens, filters, cleaning stuff, other extraneous stuff. My bag typically weighs about 45 lbs which I believe is approximately 20.4kg
    It is not too bad for a backpack, but way too heavy for a messenger bag. Also if you are hiking on uneven territory- which is most likely - it can throw your balance off if you are not careful.
    I did buy a large messenger bag and used it one day. I now walk leaning to one side...

Real Name
    Kenny

Oh, the Tamrac 74 is available locally. It wasn't listed with "adventure" (only as 5374) so it didn't come up in my earlier search. That looks good at a reasonable price.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by PBelarge View Post
    Something to remember about larger bags/packs. They carry more and we generally tend to pack more if there is space. Hence the bags get HEAVY. I have the Tamarac Expedition 7. I carry a long lens mounted to a gripped 7D, 5DII body, and multiple lens, filters, cleaning stuff, other extraneous stuff. My bag typically weighs about 45 lbs which I believe is approximately 20.4kg
    It is not too bad for a backpack, but way too heavy for a messenger bag. Also if you are hiking on uneven territory- which is most likely - it can throw your balance off if you are not careful.
    I did buy a large messenger bag and used it one day. I now walk leaning to one side...
    Thanks Pierre. Packing more is definitely a problem. And I am a poster-boy for the amateur packing everything they own into their bag. More experienced photographers will probably know what they need and pack that. At this stage, I just pack everything "just-in-case" I need it .

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium8 View Post
    Oh, the Tamrac 74 is available locally. It wasn't listed with "adventure" (only as 5374) so it didn't come up in my earlier search. That looks good at a reasonable price.
    Did you search for the 5375 the same way? From the sounds of it, I think you'd like that bag a bit better than the 5374.

- Bill

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Did you search for the 5375 the same way? From the sounds of it, I think you'd like that bag a bit better than the 5374.

- Bill
    I checked and it is available, but is a bit more than the 74. From the pictures, I can't really tell much difference, I'll check out the specs on the site. Do these have the full rain cover like the Slingshot has? I forgot to mention how important that is, I live in Taipei, where it rains 80% of the time and I commute via motorbike or scooter.

Real Name
    Bill S

Looking at the specs, it looks like the main difference is that the 75 is about 3 inches taller than the 74 - which translates into an extra pocket on the inside flap, and probably a bit more room for your 70-200.

The Tamrac does *not* come with a full rain cover. It does have an integrated rain lock down cover that covers the main zipper (basically it is an extra flap that covers the zipper and then has a drawstring to tighten it down to seal things), and I assume the bag is waterproof (though I haven't tested it, and it doesn't specifically say so). I do wish it came with a full rain cover, but I guess I could always buy something to do that if I really needed to.

- Bill

Real Name
    Kenny

Looking at the specs, it looks like the main difference is that the 75 is about 3 inches taller than the 74 - which translates into an extra pocket on the inside flap, and probably a bit more room for your 70-200.

The Tamrac does *not* come with a full rain cover. It does have an integrated rain lock down cover that covers the main zipper (basically it is an extra flap that covers the zipper and then has a drawstring to tighten it down to seal things), and I assume the bag is waterproof (though I haven't tested it, and it doesn't specifically say so). I do wish it came with a full rain cover, but I guess I could always buy something to do that if I really needed to.

- Bill
    That sounds great. The bigger one is cheaper here then! Same as when I bought the Slingshot, the 200 was cheaper than the 100AW. I'm going to see if I can budget for that this month. Thanks for the advice!

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Kenny,

I use a lowepro aw primus. Unfortunately it is not listed anymore on the lowepro website so it may be hard to find. If you do find it it should be within your budget.

It can hold a 70-200 f2.8 with body plus two lenses. There is an extra storage compartment for other stuff like sandwiches and rain jacket. It has a tripod mounting strap and waterproof cover. It has served me well with my kit.

This old thread may be useful for you where a few bags were discussed:

In need of camera backpack any suggestions???

Alex

Real Name
    Gerry

Hi Kenny,
    I'm pretty sure Lowepro sell a slingshot 300AW. As you've already had a slingshot, I'd say you've overcome the 1st barrier of only having 1 main strap.

i know you mention having too much equipment for your current bag, now might be the time to re-pack the bag, and see what you really don't need to take on every journey. You might also want to re-adjust the strap and see if the weight becomes bearable.
    I moved from the 100AW to the 200AW and found I didn't actually need it for everyday use........ doesn't stop me using it though

Real Name
    Andrew

For the same reason I moved from the same bag. If you Lowepro try the Flipside 400AW. It's a great bag and not large enough to overload it too much.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    Hi Kenny,

I use a lowepro aw primus. Unfortunately it is not listed anymore on the lowepro website so it may be hard to find. If you do find it it should be within your budget.

It can hold a 70-200 f2.8 with body plus two lenses. There is an extra storage compartment for other stuff like sandwiches and rain jacket. It has a tripod mounting strap and waterproof cover. It has served me well with my kit.

This old thread may be useful for you where a few bags were discussed:

In need of camera backpack any suggestions???

Alex
    Thanks Alex. The Primus is still listed on local online shops. It looks great; the multiple access points is a nice touch. Definitely one for my shortlist.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by gerryquiff View Post
    Hi Kenny,
    I'm pretty sure Lowepro sell a slingshot 300AW. As you've already had a slingshot, I'd say you've overcome the 1st barrier of only having 1 main strap.

i know you mention having too much equipment for your current bag, now might be the time to re-pack the bag, and see what you really don't need to take on every journey. You might also want to re-adjust the strap and see if the weight becomes bearable.
    I moved from the 100AW to the 200AW and found I didn't actually need it for everyday use........ doesn't stop me using it though
    Thanks Gerry.
    I think loading a 300 would be too much for a shoulder bag. I'm mainly looking for something that will fit quite a load now (at least until I become good enough to know what I REALLY need )
    The Slingshot will still get used for some things though, like when I just want camera, walkabout lens and a flash-perfect for that.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    For the same reason I moved from the same bag. If you Lowepro try the Flipside 400AW. It's a great bag and not large enough to overload it too much.
    Thanks Andrew.

The Flipside also looks like a good option. I'm starting to wish I could field test all the viable options!!

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium8 View Post
    The Flipside also looks like a good option. I'm starting to wish I could field test all the viable options!!
    And that is exactly why so many photographers have a closet full of bags.... the inability to field test them before purchase.

Real Name
    Andrew

Kenny, fly me to Taiwan and put me up for a couple of weeks I'll guarantee you can test out my bag for the whole time I'm there.

Real Name
    Kenny

And that is exactly why so many photographers have a closet full of bags.... the inability to field test them before purchase.
    And to think my non-photographer friends laughed at me for having ONE bag "just for a camera."

At the price of bags, I'd rather be blowing money on a closet full of flashes and wondering which bag will accommodate them!

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    Kenny, fly me to Taiwan and put me up for a couple of weeks I'll guarantee you can test out my bag for the whole time I'm there.
    Ha... You will need your bag. We've had about 5 days without rain in the last 3 months. Enough reason to justify buying an expensive waterproof camera that I could actually use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast