Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Are You Ready?

Real Name
    John

Are You Ready?

Are you ready?

New Design Ideas

Take a look at Windows 8 and one will find a host of design changes to the operating system, including the so-called “tile” layout. If that design choice pans out, Microsoft could very well force Apple to respond with something similar in Mac OS X. And Apple is one of those companies that doesn’t like having its hand forced by any competitor.
    Are You Ready?

Just when you were getting used to the last upgrade.

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: Are You Ready?

Definitely not ready to "beta-test"

It will be a while till I'll decide to go to Win 8 - it needs to get a bit older and to have some of it's bugs fixed first. After that - why not?

Real Name
    Chris

Apple's already responded by being there first. 8 is a response to the ipad success and Apple already has an OS in mind the further develops it as pc based...

Real Name
    Alex

From what I had previously read Windows 8 is a nice front-end to Windows 7. It has been designed with touch screens in mind. However you can always switch back to a standard desktop layout if you want. Then it functions just like Windows 7.

I do not think it will be that relevant for a desktop PC. However for a touch screen device then it will be very nice. You can flick through your common applications, move them around with your fingers and generally interact with it to do common multi-media tasks much faster.

We will have to wait for some Windows 8 tablets to come out to see how it compares to the latest incarnations of the iPad and Android.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    Definitely not ready to "beta-test"

It will be a while till I'll decide to go to Win 8 - it needs to get a bit older and to have some of it's bugs fixed first. After that - why not?
    I agree, and judging by the graphics this version will be an even bigger memory hog than Windows 7.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    From what I had previously read Windows 8 is a nice front-end to Windows 7. It has been designed with touch screens in mind. However you can always switch back to a standard desktop layout if you want. Then it functions just like Windows 7.

I do not think it will be that relevant for a desktop PC. However for a touch screen device then it will be very nice. You can flick through your common applications, move them around with your fingers and generally interact with it to do common multi-media tasks much faster.

We will have to wait for some Windows 8 tablets to come out to see how it compares to the latest incarnations of the iPad and Android.
    It's a good thing they are giving you options, Winodws 7 needs at least 4GBs of memory, I can imagine how much would be needed for this graphics intense version. I've had Windows 7 for about six months and would like to get acquainted with this version before having to take the leap forward.

Real Name
    Neil

It's a good thing they are giving you options, Winodws 7 needs at least 4GBs of memory
    Not sure why you think that I have Windows 7 32bit running very happily on on an elderly Dell Inspiron laptop with 2 gig of RAM

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Neelly View Post
    Not sure why you think that I have Windows 7 32bit running very happily on on an elderly Dell Inspiron laptop with 2 gig of RAM
    It's needed to run memory intense programs such as PSE8 and my RAW converter without shutting down all other programs.

Real Name
    Robin

Apple have had something similar to tiles since Lion came out last year.
    Launchpad gives your iMac an iPad/iPhone style layout with all of your applications available and customisable. If you have a Trackpad then it can be launched via a simple gesture - its brilliant and I use it regularly.

Are You Ready?

Oddly one of the criticisms I've heard about W8 is the lack of a Start/Home button - again Apple don't have this and in the year I've owned a Mac I've never missed it.

Am I ready for Win 8?

Not only NO, but hell no. I'm just getting my photo computer set up with Win 7.

Glenn

Real Name
    Neil

It's needed to run memory intense programs such as PSE8 and my RAW converter without shutting down all other programs.
    So its actually not Widows 7 that needs the RAM, its a bit disingenuous to infer its the OS that's at fault, remember also that 32 bit Windows can only address 4mg and of that only around 3.3 mg is actually available for use

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Neelly View Post
    So its actually not Widows 7 that needs the RAM, its a bit disingenuous to infer its the OS that's at fault, remember also that 32 bit Windows can only address 4mg and of that only around 3.3 mg is actually available for use
    Not really, I am only stating what is needed to run Windows 7 and additional software with available resources. Upgrading to an OP system that uses more intensive graphics means that Windows 8 would need the additional memory.