Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More colorful than the rainbow = Carnival

Real Name
    Toņo

More colorful than the rainbow = Carnival

Hi everyone

I'm still behind with the processing of my pictures, but here you can take a look to some shots I made during last Sunday's parade.

I'd like to hear comments about them.

Also a picture of my wife wearing a costume. I'd like to make a better picture of her next time. Any suggestions?

Toņo

[1]
    [2]
    [3]
    [4]
    [5]
    [6]
    [7]

Re: More colorful than the rainbow = Carnival

Very very colorful, As for your wife, I would mover her forward a little to remove the shadow and it would also improve the focusing. Your pictures make a wonderful slide show.
    Tim

With #1, Tono, you obviously have problems with the flash (or other lighting source) bouncing of the back wall.

If you could have used a different lighting angle, eg bouncing the flash off a ceiling, etc, it would have helped; but it is possible that might not have been an option here.

Also, it would have helped if she was standing further away from the back wall. But once again, possibly not an option.

As it is, I would consider cropping fairly tight above her head, to reduce the lighting distraction and possibly darkening the highlights a little, if possible.

The others have worked well except #3 where you have an unfortunate position which has meant shooting behind the action; and not seeing any faces. I was wondering about cropping to reduce part of the left and bottom, but I'm not sure if that would make a great deal of improvement. Alternatively crop quite a bit and concentrate more on the one good face angle that you do have there.

Shooting action scenes amongst crowds is never easy and you do have some excellent shots there.

Real Name
    Mal

Geoff's pretty much covered the points that I would have mentioned with your wife's photo. Really like the second photo you've posted.

Real Name
    Toņo

Thanks for your comments guys.

Tim, respect to you comment about the shadow. Actually I asked her to step back, because the hat was creating a shadow over her face... I didn't notice the one behind her

Geoff and Mal. I know that my problem was lighting (it usually is). In this case I used no flash, just the light from the lamp at the ceiling and I think one lamp on the bedside table. Cranked up the ISO and tried to get a good shot before we went out to the party. But at the moment I didn't notice the light bouncing back from the closet.

My wife sometimes asks me to take pictures of her when she changes her hair or in this case, wearing a party costume. Sometimes it is difficult to understand what she wants and get a picture that makes her happy.

Definitely the light was not good, but I usually don't like to use the flash, since I only have the in-built flash of my camera. I think I got a sharper image, and maybe another with flash. I'll post them for comparison with picture [1].

Real Name
    Toņo

Here is another shot.

Let me know your comments.

Real Name
    Mal

Your wife looks a lot more natural in this shot. The roof light is still quite bright behind her causing a bright reflection just above your wife's head and a shadow down the bottom though. The shadow is not such big deal and you might be able to take a bit more attention from it by applying some vignetting.

The bright spot above your wife is more of an issue because it pulls your attention from her lovely face straight up to it. My suggestion would be to crop the top of the photo so that you have the same distance from the edge of the frame as her feet to the bottom frame. This will cut out most of the brightness. If you do apply some vignetting this should darken then darken the area around your wife's head otherwise you could apply some gradient filters to do a similar job - or both.

The only slight problem with Mal's crop idea (which I agree with) is that you will end up with a non standard print size.

So if that should be a problem, I would then consider cropping the bottom to maybe produce a 4 x 5 crop ratio, or something similar. The main thing is to retain her hat.

Real Name
    John

Great photos, Tono. I really like the 2nd but I find that gap of light beneath the arm of the person farthest right to be a bit distracting. Maybe you could crop to remove it?? Does anyone agree that may be an improvement? -john

Real Name
    Toņo

Hi John

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked the pictures. I don't mind the gap you are referring to, and I feel it helps to give sense of direction to the people walking into the smoke.

Here are two more versions of the last photo. Following Mal and Geoff's suggestions.

A) Just a vignette added.
    B) Cropped to a 1:2 ratio. Vignette added.

A)
    B)