Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What to concider in a background canvas

Real Name
    Erik

What to concider in a background canvas

Hello All,

I am preparing for a product-type shoot and I am in discussion about the background color.
    A fabric canvas will be used and will be a solid color.

The product is composed of clear Lexan and black anodized metal and stainless steel.

I want to avoid "forward" colors such as red and yellow. I of course want the focus to be on the subject and not the background. We have had pleasing results with a blue background. Though, the "client" does not want to have all photos to look the same. I'm not sure if we will get that base on the changing composition and products.

The clear Lexan is throwing me off a bit in that I cannot cut out the image in PP and change out the backgrounds.

In your experience, do you follow a general rule of thumbs for selecting your background?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Erik

Real Name
    Richard

Re: What to concider in a background canvas

I am not sure that this helps but, a medium gray background is decent for most subjects and can be changed somewhat by using filters over your background light or lights...

Real Name
    Bob

I too am not sure this helps, but I am a fly fisherman and tie flies. I take photos of them for reference. I have found pale blues and greens make good backgrounds for my photos. If the subject is black or white, the opposite background color works to bring out the details.

Dr Bob

Real Name
    Erik

Thanks Richard and Dr. Bob,

First, I'll have to try the medium grey background idea and the use of filters.
    Secondly, we looked at a pale blue swatch and just didn't feel it was appropriate. Green though could be an option. I like the idea of using the opposite color. This would provide a great contrast, making the subject pop.