Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with .... Kerry Schulstad (kezmal)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with .... Kerry Schulstad (kezmal)

Name: Kerry Schulstad

CiC: Thanks for agreeing to take part in 'In conversation with ....' here on CiC.

It’s my pleasure, thank you for asking me.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history - anything interesting?

Gees, where to start. I left home at the tender age of 17 and joined the Royal Australian Air Force, as what was known as a Stenographer, sounds good hey? Just a glorified Secretary really! Whilst with the RAAF I had the opportunity to travel around my beautiful country of Australia and meet the man of my dreams (have to write that as he’s a member of CIC, heh heh). After 12 years we both left the RAAF to move to the Gold Coast, and I have worked in Administration ever since and currently work part-time in the Water Industry. The other part of my time is getting my own handmade candle business of the ground.

And what about your family life?

I’ve been married (to the man of my dreams, heh heh) for almost 12 years, we have three great kids, two boys and a girl. We also have a poor old dog who hobbles around everywhere, until you offer food and he miraculously becomes a pup again, and we have an anti-social snobby cat.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

Well if I was lucky enough to choose the movie, I’d have to pick The Notebook where I would soon end up being the only one to watch it. Then they’d all laugh at me when I’m balling my eyes out! I do appreciate a good action movie though. Its hard to pick a favourite book, I have my nose in a book all the time, I do like Paranormal Romance (no not Twilight). I read all types of books though, and really loved The Book Thief. Favourite meal, hmmm, probably my oven baked Red Wine and Minted Lamb Racks, with roasted potatoes and mixed baby greens.

EDITOR'S PIC #1

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Making candles and reading, and my husband would probably say my favourite hobby is shopping (I do like to shop)!

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I think my true passion for photography came about when I was well into my 20’s. I bought a Canon AE1 from a Pawn Broker, probably for some silly amount, I can’t remember. I always wanted to take more than just snap shots; I think I see a photo opportunity in everything I see. What held me back was the technical side of photography. How I first became interested in photography, I cant really say, probably from the feedback I get back from family and friends.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

My absolute favourite is portraits, seeing people’s expressions, and capturing their mood and personality. I also really enjoy macro, capturing the detail of an object right up close when done the right way produces amazing photos and its something I’d like to become better at.

Any particular photographic influences?

I’d have to say Ansel Adams, his work is timeless, and he captured such elegance and beauty. On a completely different scale is Grace Weston, her creativity makes you smile or think ‘Huh’ her fantasy scenes do make you think outside the square. Closer to home, my influences are my family; they’re so gorgeous, how could I not want to photograph them!

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I definitely have a way to go with my photography. I hope to achieve a better grasp of the Technical side of photography including the post processing aspect of photography. I like looking back on my photos and saying ‘Wow, I did that’ that sense of achievement and pride in itself is a great reward.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I think CiC is brilliant. I admire the people behind CiC and the time and effort that is put into the site. I haven’t had the opportunity to go through the whole site as yet, but the information and education I’m getting from CiC is amazing. I would like to see a slide show put together with music like Rob is doing at present of all the winners’ photography.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

My husband :-O heh heh, apart from him, probably my Candle business, or different ideas I might have to capture great photos.

EDITOR'S PIC #2

I have to ask this. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Nikon D5100
    Nikkor 55-300mm
    Nikkor 18-55mm

It's a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Oh I’m a complete novice at present. I’d say my ability in the technical side is that of a novice, however the artistic side is starting to improve.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

Im not sure what the digital camera will be like, but whatever is around in 2020 I will probably have, we’re quite the technical junkies in our household.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I’m always happy to help where I can!

Another tough one for you - do you consider photography to be art?

I definitely think that it is an individual’s interpretation. When we look at a photograph, we are not only looking at a portrait or a scene of some sort, but also the way the photographer has interpreted it and then captured it, set the scene, processed it etc. I think that is where the artistic side comes through. So for me photography is definitely art.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Depends on how I’m feeling at the time. Generally I’m okay with it.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Take the blinkers off and open your eyes to the world around you!

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

Both of these photos were taken on my Canon AE1 in Sydney Australia. I adore this photo of my daughter with her face up to the light that is dappling through the trees. This photo speaks volumes to me, and always tugs at my heart.

There is something about the second photo that I just keep coming back to. I’ve always loved the look of trees with sun dappling through them and this particular shot I just find so pretty.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don't know?

Oh dear, too many to mention. Silliest thing I’ve ever done was get drunk, had an argument with hubby, got so annoyed that I got into bed with the dog, yes in the dogs bed! (Shame, shame, shame LOL).

Thank you, again, for taking part in 'In conversation with .......'

Phew, done . Thanks so much, it was a pleasure and don’t ever tell anyone I got into bed with my dog!

Ed's footnote

I'm delighted to have been able to publish the first husband and wife interviews in this series. Thanks to both Mal and now Kerry, for having taken part.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: In conversation with .... Kerry Schulstad (kezmal)

Light-hearted and entertaining! Thank you, Kerry!

Real Name
    Kerry

Thanks Frank

Great interview Kerry, thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Kerry! I love reading these.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mal

Just to let you know that if you come on here and say 'I never knew that...!' neither I nor CiC are liable!
    Last edited by Donald; 4th February 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Mal

Just to let you know that if you come on here and say 'I never knew that...!' neither I nor CiC are liable!
    Like me keeping Kerry up at night... oh - the snoring!

See, if you'd ask me about something that wasn't known about Kerry it's that she's a Gemini - you know - that twin personality thing. Couple that Kerry being a red headed woman, means that she has at least 4 personalities - all of which are very firey.

Right! I'd better go run and find somewhere to hide now!