Thread: St Michael's Mount at Dawn (close up)

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

St Michael's Mount at Dawn (close up)

I took quite a lot of images of this iconic castle to try and get something decent in poor light. I have tried here to produce a close up of the castle with some oomph in the image.

Aperture: f/4 Shutter Speed: 1/30 ISO: 400

Real Name
    Chris

Re: St Michael's Mount at Dawn (close up)

I tried to build three different focal planes...foreground which included the photographer, middle ground which was the cluster of buildings at the base of the mount and of course, the castel atop the mount.

What I found with your image was an overall color tone which only varied slightly because of color pops.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Chris - It is a difficult one as I like the vista but sadly the poor light made it difficult. I have had to employ some overall courboosts to get to where I am. I may go back and start again and make my edits more specific to individual areas of the image.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Chris. Although the overall tone of the image in this lighting is dark, I played a bit with Topaz Adjust to see what was possible. Instead of posting just the results, you can see the steps taken in this screenshot of Photoshop.

From the bottom layer up, I added a Topaz Adjust Smart Filter to pull four different treatments. For the foreground I used Dramatic II, For the foliage I used Spring, for the buildings I used Bold, and for the sky I used Spicify. Many other options are available and based on personal preferences and the way you feel at the moment, you might want to choose other options.

I then masked each so that the treatments only applied to the specified area. I then added a Brightness/Contrast Adjustment Layer to each so that I could individually control the brightness and contrast.

I merged all the layers into Layer 1 and after reducing the noise level, used the clone tool to gently remove some of the white halos at the edge of the sky.

I don't know if this is giving the kind of 'oompf' you were looking for, but hopefully it is moving in the right general direction.