Charles

Miracle worker

I have just come across this site

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2011-s...ge-deblurring/

Pretty cool methinks!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Miracle worker

I believe the next edition of PS will cook dinner and open your bottle of wine for you!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    That was a pretty amazing demonstration.

Real Name
    Trev

Holy sh...... I need never bother with holding my camera steady ever again

Real Name
    Robin

UPDATE: For those who are curious – some additional background on the images used during the recent MAX demo of our “deblur” technology. The first two images we showed – the crowd scene and the image of the poster, were examples of motion blur from camera shake. The image of Kevin Lynch was synthetically blurred from a sharp image taken from the web. What do we mean by synthetic blur? A synthetic blur was created by extracting the camera shake information from another real blurry image and applying it to the Kevin Lynch image to create a realistic simulation. This kind of blur is created with our research tool. Because the camera shake data is real, it is much more complicated than anything we can simulate using Photoshop’s blur capabilities. When this new image was loaded as a JPEG into the deblur plug-in, the software has no idea it was synthetically generated. This is common practice in research and we used the Kevin example because we wanted it to be entertaining and relevant to the audience.
    Caused a stink a day or two after this was first shown last year. Not sure why they used an image that was faked to look blurred but it took the shine off the whole thing. None the less it will be interesting if it gets into the next generation of CS.

Hi,
    This is really cool stuff. However as an avid fan of NCIS (tv show) Abby the lab tech did much the same thing early this past season. Makes one wonder when and where do good ideas come from. This could also put a dent in the tripod market. From other forums.
    Tim

Real Name
    Mario

I can't watch the video. It is in Flash 10 format. Adoble Flash is proprietary software and hence I don't use it, my free flash player (Gnash) currently can't play it. What is it, Gaussian deconvolution?.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Hacker View Post
    I can't watch the video. It is in Flash 10 format. Adoble Flash is proprietary software and hence I don't use it, my free flash player (Gnash) currently can't play it. What is it, Gaussian deconvolution?.
    I think the site went down earlier, for at least 1/2 hour, it's back now, might be worth trying the link again Mario, in case that was the cause of the problem.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I think the site went down earlier, for at least 1/2 hour, it's back now, might be worth trying the link again Mario, in case that was the cause of the problem.

Cheers,
    The site was up and showed an embeeded Flash 10 file, it still is. The problem are proprietary formats. I'd rather not be able to open them than bind myself to its owner and restrict my informatic rights by using the owner's (Adobe Flash) reader.

Thanks for your consideration .

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Just watched the video on an iPad (no flash support for sure)...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Did anyone notice that for each of the three images they had to first load a set of parameters that were specific to that image? If the software can't dynamically generate the correct parameters, will it work?

The first two in particular were supposedly based on the camera moving in a detectable pattern while the shutter was open but otherwise in sharp focus. It would seem that if the camera wasn't in focus first and the correction applied to only camera motion blur, this approach might not work. Looks like a software version of image stabilization.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Hacker View Post
    Just checked it on my iPhone 4 (definitely no Flash) and it plays fine. I'm fully Apple, who dislike Flash with a passion, but I still have the plugin for Safari on my iMac as frankly I can't see why not.