Thread: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

Real Name
    Jeff

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

I am purchasing a new laptop and have the opportunity to add Adobe photoshop lightroom 3 for $150.00. Can anyone tell me of this software is good for a beginner. I currently do not have any post processing software. I really would like to know more about digital filters and if they work well.

Thanks,
    jeff

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

Quote Originally Posted by XSi 88 View Post
    I am purchasing a new laptop and have the opportunity to add Adobe photoshop lightroom 3 for $150.00. Can anyone tell me of this software is good for a beginner. I currently do not have any post processing software. I really would like to know more about digital filters and if they work well.
    Thanks,jeff
    Hi Jeff,

I can't think of any better processing program for beginners than Lightroom (now 3.6). It was the
    only PP program I had for quite a while, and finally added Photoshop elements 10 about 3 weeks
    ago. Photoshop CS and elements do have a lengthy learning curve, and Lightroom is very well
    organized. Tons of easy tutorials available on YouTube and the Adobe site, and you can become
    proficient with the basic processing tools rather quickly.

FWIW, about 95% of my processing is done in Lightroom, and so far Elements has only been used
    for doing sky replacements. Lightroom does not do layers and masks like Elements does, but
    the use of the LR's preset's is a huge time saver.

Mike

I agree with Mike's assessment, and at $150 is a very good buy.

However beware that Lightroom 4 has been released for beta testing, and will be released in the near future. This doesn't imply that you have to upgrade (if that's the correct word) from LR3, but many people do keep the program up to date (I started with LR1).

You should check the Adobe site as to what an upgrade to LR4 would cost.

If you do purchase it, you can update for free to the latest LR3 version (which as Mike noted, is 3.6).

Each version usually has some significant and worthwhile upgrades.

Glenn

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jeff,

I would go for it, especially if you have nothing else.
    Mike is not alone in adding Elements to LR for layers work, yu will have to do this, or CS5/6.

If LR wasn't on such a good offer, IMHO, Elements 10 would be a better starting point for less overall spend, although some say it has a learning curve, I found if you started with their 'beginner' interface mode, then worked your way up through 'intermediate' to full, it wasn't a problem - and like LR, there is LOTS of help available for it online, in book and video tutorials.

One thing that may force an eventual upgrade to LR4 is that, assuming LR4 comes out in say 6 months, any new cameras being released in about a year's time will require an update to the ACR bit of LR for RAW import and Adobe will probably stop releasing these for LR3 by then. There are free ways around this (use DNG, which is arguably a good idea anyway), but if you haven't got into the DNG habit early, you may resist.

The same is true of Elements and CS5/6 - you're alright while you stick with your current camera, but buying a shiny new body 12-18 months hence, may force an unexpected upgrade of software or a major change of workflow.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ian

Jeff,

Lightroom is so intuitive its a breeze, but as Dave says there is plenty of help out there in the web. Just be aware that it doesn't do everything but is great for tweaking and cataloging.

I would definitely go for the Beta 4, at least you have a couple of months to see if you like it, before shelling out any money at all. Cant be a bad offer. LR3 is cheap because it is end of the line, you will still be able to get deals as LR4 comes out. You may even get an upgrade deal from Adobe, although given its likely popularity, it may be to add something like Elements to your LR, rather than LR being cheap.

Real Name
    Kevin

Jeff,

Just reinforcing all previous opinions. I started with Photoshop elements which I do recommend highly, and THEN added Lightroom. You will need some version of Photoshop (10 is excellent and cheap), but start your flow with Lightroom, and use photoshop (PSE) just when needed. AND SHOOT RAW! I didnt initially, and am not done kicking myself for it. I only rarely shoot JPEG. The RAW converters in Lightroom and photoshop (and PSE) are the same and superb, and significantly decrease the need to go into Photoshop layers adjustments- saves a ton of time.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Jeff,

Just reinforcing all previous opinions. I started with Photoshop elements which I do recommend highly, and THEN added Lightroom. You will need some version of Photoshop (10 is excellent and cheap), but start your flow with Lightroom, and use photoshop (PSE) just when needed. AND SHOOT RAW! I didnt initially, and am not done kicking myself for it. I only rarely shoot JPEG. The RAW converters in Lightroom and photoshop (and PSE) are the same and superb, and significantly decrease the need to go into Photoshop layers adjustments- saves a ton of time.

Kevin

Another great piece of advice IMO. Start with RAW, and start with LR.

I can do a lot of touch ups in LR, but I also use Photoshop Elements. But with LR 3.6, I'm able to do some things I used to do in PSE.

It's my feeling that in time, LR will do just about everything that CS will do, but in a much more intuitive package.

Yes, there is a learning curve with LR, but what doesn't entail the learning process.

There are some great free videos at Adobe by Julieanne Kost:

http://jkost.com/

She even has some new videos on the present beta version - Lightroom 4.

Another one is Laura Shoe: http://laurashoe.com/

Glenn

If you decide to get Lightroom, I suggest obtaining a copy of Scott Kelby's book on Lightroom. He provides a good overview of the program and includes some suggestions for initially setting up your photo database that might save some grief later on.

Real Name
    Ian

Once you get used to Kelby's style, his advice is invaluable. Just not very anglophiled!

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Once you get used to Kelby's style, his advice is invaluable. Just not very anglophiled!
    I have books by Martin Evening and Nat Coalson. Kelby's stuff is great, BUT, after I've read his same joke twice I'm ready for something else.

Glenn

Real Name
    Ian

Know what you mean Glenn. Just have to read around that to get the gems.

Martin Evening has a different style, but probably the 'other' key source in CS/PS publications. Also well recommended.

Real Name
    Jeff

Thank you for all of the feedback. I did order the software with my laptop and now I can't wait to try it out, so I will probably be posting questions and photos when I start using it. Thanks again everyone.

Jeff

Real Name
    Frank Miller

In addition to the excellent videos by Julieanne Kost, take a look at the Lightroom Killer Tips http://lightroomkillertips.com/ as well!

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    In addition to the excellent videos by Julieanne Kost, take a look at the Lightroom Killer Tips http://lightroomkillertips.com/ as well!
    I'm with Frank on Julieanne Kosts videos. You can also funds them on the adobe website http://tv.adobe.com. Watching how to do something makes the learning process a lot easier.