Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A work in progress

Real Name
    Steve

A work in progress

Not 100% happy with this one yet. Need to reshoot in the morning, so i don't blow the sky out, and work on the angle a little more. May need to bring a step ladder to gain some elevation. There is a hole in the roof, with lots of detail i would like to capture.

A beautiful old cabin, but the woods has grown around it and there is clutter everywhere,hence the tight crop.

I chose this angle because i like the crossing logs and the chimney. The front and side are all boarded up , which ruined the look of it, so this is what i have to work with.

There is a very well used deer trail running past, and thought i may use it for a background of a deer pic, that way the clutter wouldn't matter so much.

Any other ideas for a better comp. are appreciated.

A work in progress

Real Name
    John

Re: A work in progress

Steve,

Could you have captured more of the chimney if you shot in portrait mode? Some clutter is acceptable if it gives the image a sense of scale. Nicely exposed.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Steve,

Could you have captured more of the chimney if you shot in portrait mode? Some clutter is acceptable if it gives the image a sense of scale. Nicely exposed.
    I captured the entire chimney in this shot, but cropped it tight , to show more detail of the left corner. (also to eliminate some of the blown sky.) I guess i'll just have to study the shots i have ,before the next try. Maybe some fresh snow will clean up the area a little. Wish i could fire up the chainsaw

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    I captured the entire chimney in this shot, but cropped it tight , to show more detail of the left corner. (also to eliminate some of the blown sky.) I guess i'll just have to study the shots i have ,before the next try. Maybe some fresh snow will clean up the area a little. Wish i could fire up the chainsaw
    Sometimes just shooting what is there is more telling, giving a partial or complete story, than editing out the undesirable. You could always use selective blurring to deemphasize the clutter.