Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Google featured photos

Real Name
    Bobo

Google featured photos

With nothing better to do I started going over their featured pics to see if there was anything to learn.

It was rather interesting to find that many of these pics have tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of views. How is that possible? Unlike flickr there is no way for one to "advertise" their stuff!

While Google+ may give some of this community reach it is not as if everyone has this + version.

Frankly some of the pics here would beat the pants off quite a few of these "featured" pics.

Just wondering.

Re: Google featured photos

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    It was rather interesting to find that many of these pics have tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of views.

How is that possible? Unlike flickr there is no way for one to "advertise" their stuff!

While Google+ may give some of this community reach it is not as if everyone has this + version.

Frankly some of the pics here would beat the pants off quite a few of these "featured" pics.
    I'm not exactly sure which Google featured pics you mean but a quick search suggests they will be the pics that Google offers on the front door of Picasa Web Albums. In which case, even 200,000 views will be only a small percentage of the total number of people seeing them every time they use their Picasa Web albums. it is only in the last few months that Google have shifted the emphasis of Picasa Web Albums to be the on-line photo album for Google+. G+ may not have the user base of Facebook but it does have users. Again only a small percentage will be required to generate a high view count.

As for how Google selects featured photos, see How Do Photos Get Selected For The Featured List?
    and Want to be featured on our Explore page?

Ken

Real Name
    Chris

Google average well north of 2 BILLION searches a day. Anything associated with it gets large numbers.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Ken, had no idea that they took submissions. Must have quite a few people working on it considering that everyone thinks he has a good photograph.

Yes, Chris that could well be true. I know lots of people youtube but not sure if picasa is as popular. Some of my friends have never even heard of it but know about flickr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    I know lots of people youtube but not sure if picasa is as popular. Some of my friends have never even heard of it but know about flickr.
    Again, YouTube & Flickr may be more 'well known' than Picasa but the web has an MASSIVE number of users so even if only a small percentage of then use it will still equate to a very large absolute number of users.

Ken