Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Infrared Photography open post

Infrared Photography open post

I love infrared photography! I did a search and found 8 IR topics here at CIC (Ironic because most of my IR is B&W) but I know there is more interest out there than that. I thought I would start an IR open post thread. If you have any IR photos, post them here. Comment on others posts, ask questions, make recommendations etc. I'm out to convert (pun intended) more photographers to IR so post 'em if ya got 'em.

I'll start off with one of my first IR photos, taken back in '04 with my Olympus C-8080, which has a 'hot spot' that I didn't notice until later. This photo actually hangs on the wall in my home, I like it a lot but I would like to go back and shoot the same scene with a better IR camera. The image is noisy, slightly soft with a few blown highlights, but I still like it.

I've shown you one of mine now show me some of yours

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Infrared Photography open post

Cool shot but you may want to read this thread first.
    Help! How do I post images here?

As with B&W conversions after capture, how is dedicated camera IR different from conversion in post?

Many decades ago, I used to know a guy who would go everywhere with his film camera and only an IR lens. That was all he shot with. Soon after lost touch and never got to see any of his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Cool shot but you may want to read this thread first.
    Help! How do I post images here?

As with B&W conversions after capture, how is dedicated camera IR different from conversion in post?

Many decades ago, I used to know a guy who would go everywhere with his film camera and only an IR lens. That was all he shot with. Soon after lost touch and never got to see any of his stuff.
    Bobo,

I posted the photo with the 'Tinypic' instructions, did I not do that right? Should I have done it like this?
    http://http://i457.photobucket.com/a...wIR800x603.jpg

Post capture conversion to IR looks dull and flat or like a B&W negative, from the few examples I've seen of conversion in PP.

IR capture with an IR dedicated or visible light camera that is IR sensitive (there are a few of those out there), have the bright while foliage and a glow to them you just don't get in PP conversion.

Too bad about your IR film friend disappearing. IR film was a major pain, digital is so much easier, I would never go back.

Eric

Bobo,

I posted the photo with the 'Tinypic' instructions, did I not do that right? Should I have done it like this?
    http://http://i457.photobucket.com/a...wIR800x603.jpg

dsir3018e.jpg
    Post capture conversion to IR looks dull and flat or like a B&W negative, from the few examples I've seen of conversion in PP.

IR capture with an IR dedicated or visible light camera that is IR sensitive (there are a few of those out there), have the bright while foliage and a glow to them you just don't get in PP conversion.

Too bad about your IR film friend disappearing. IR film was a major pain, digital is so much easier, I would never go back.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 26th January 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Well that didn't work any better, maybe this:

Infrared Photography open post

Eric

Ahhh, that's better.

Eric

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Eric

I went back to post #4 in the thread and inserted that inline.

I see you've now got it. I suspect it was that last little final step when using the TinyPics route. Gets a lot of people.

Anyway, glad we're now able to see your images.

In the right hands, IR shooting can certainly produce some amazing images. These are good.

Hopefully some other IR shooters will see the thread and join in.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Eric

I went back to post #4 in the thread and inserted that inline.

I see you've now got it. I suspect it was that last little final step when using the TinyPics route. Gets a lot of people.

Anyway, glad we're now able to see your images.

In the right hands, IR shooting can certainly produce some amazing images. These are good.

Hopefully some other IR shooters will see the thread and join in.
    Thanks for that!

Every photo forum is just a bit different, keeping them all straight can be difficult, at least for me.

Eric