Thread: Tele Converter for Nikon?

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Tele Converter for Nikon?

Hi all.........need some advice / tips on usage of converter. I have Nikon D90 with ED AF-S Nikkor-VR 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G lens and am told that it will be equivalent to 100-450 on DX body is it true. Now i am thinking of getting a 2x converter. I need to know as to whether it will be useful and also whether i will lose 2 stops on aperture....or is there any disadvantage on its use. I am thinking to acquire to use for bird photography.

Real Name
    Andrew

re: Tele Converter for Nikon?

An FX lens on a DX camera will give you the field of view equivalent to 1.5 times the rating so your lens will appear to be 105 - 300. A teleconverter will not work on that lens.

http://www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/Ma...lity-EN_01.pdf

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

re: Tele Converter for Nikon?

Andrew is correct for the Nikon TCs.

However, a third party teleconverter may work on the lens, but don't trust me, check yourself first.
    I haven't tried it with mine.

Yes a 2x TC will lose 2 stops of light (a 1.4x TC loses 1 stop)

If third party ..
    The aperture, AF and IS may not work at all if there's no electrical connections from body to lens
    Even if there is;
    The IS may not work as well (because not optimised for the new field of view)
    It will inevitably degrade image quality compared to a proper lens of the focal length you want

I don't know of anyone that has done this with that lens.

UPDATE
    In my view (I do birds too), the only option for us is probably the Sigma 150-500mm or 50-500mm lenses. However, I had problems with AF back focus with another Sigma lens once on my D5000, so I am personally reluctant to go that way for fear of more problems. The 500mm would be equivalent to 750mm on your D90 and my D5000.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st January 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Tele Converter for Nikon?

Nikon converters won't fit on your lens but independent ones will and they will sort of work.

Your camera will only auto focus with an aperture of f5.6 or brighter, with a 2x teleconverter you loose two stops (apertures) of light giving you a maximum aperture of f11. On a VERY bright, contrasty day it might lock on from time to time but its going to be manual focus really. All modern converters have electrical info pass through so your metering will still operate and you will still get VR but it ain't gonna be an easy thing to use. I've played with them at work on all sorts of lenses and bodies when I've been bored with mixed results. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Real Name
    Pete

totally agree with Robin

as he says you'll lose autofocus and be at f11

sticking a TC on that lens isn't the way to go. on a prime lens like the 400 f2.8 fair enough

the new D4 will autofocus to f8 which is to be hoped Nikon will move down the line to the d300 replacement.

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Thank you all for the feedback...........will think over and go for a lens itself instead of TC

A friend of mine uses a 2x converter on his Sony ultrazoom camera. Not sure of the model but it has 30x optical zoom already. With the 2x in front of the zoom, he can only zoom in so far then the image blurs out. I believe this is because there is only a certain range in which the optics will work together.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th March 2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: correct typos