Thread: In conversation with ........... Rob Douglas

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ........... Rob Douglas

Name: Rob Douglas
    and
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0bdouglas/

CiC: Thanks for agreeing to take part in 'In conversation with ....' here on CiC.

Thanks, It's great to be asked to be a part of in conversation with.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

I am a heavy wrecker operator for a large towing company here in NJ and also a volunteer fireman in my town.

And what about your family life?

I am married for 19 years now with two beautiful children. A son 13 and daughter 10

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

I'm not much of a reader unless it's a manual to one of my many toys or a book on PS or Lightroom. As for a meal, that would most defenitly be steak.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

WOW how do I keep this one short lol? I'm really into computers and gaming so I build my own gaming PC's. I love to race motorcycles and cars. I'm also into fabrication, customization, and paint work... that would be mostly on the before mentioned motorcycles and cars. And I also fly R/C helicopters and planes.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

It's been about three years now since my wife got me started with my first DSLR, a Nikon D90 which I exchanged for a Canon 50D and that bag full of glass I speak of in my signature. It was pretty much to take pictures of the kids and vacations but I've had a desire for it for many years prior. I've always looked at thinks differently, taking notice to objects or details that others overlook, and I'd like to think my photography reflects that.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Still life would have to be my favorite, which sometimes seams like product shots if you where to see my DIY desk top studio. I love the challenge of taking a photograph of an ordinary object and making it appealing. Nature and landscapes are a close second along with macro which often gets combined with nature. my wife thinks I'm nuts when she sees me laying on the lawn with my lens down in the grass. I also like selective coloring which goes along with my love for the other end of our hobby, Post Production and editing.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

Any particular photographic influences?

Before becoming a member here I couldn't really put a name to my influences because it would be artwork I would see hanging somewhere but I would have to say since I joined CiC I'm really inspired by Rob Marshall, and Colin Southern's work.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I never really had a goal in mind when I started. It was mostly as a hobby and a creative/artistic release. The one thing I never thought I would actually do would be to sell my work. I was amazed the first time I was asked to purchase one of my images. After that I was encoraged by a friend who is a profesional to submit work to his gallery and create a web site, never imagining that I would actually be selling my images to anyone other than partonizing friends.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

before I joined I lurked around a bit to see how the members interacted with each other and more importantly to new members or members new to photography. I was instantly impressed and joined. I had never seen this level of a sence of community/comrodery on a forum as this before. I am always impressed with the truthful yet polite CC here. With the wealth of knowlage between all the members here and the free tutorials offered I'm sure I'll be a member for life seeing as photography is such a big part of mine.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

uh... Lightroom! No seriuosly, It would have to be ideas. I've been told I think too much. I'm always pushing myself. Always thinking of new ideas. So if I don't do it when I think of it... And then there are always the thoughts of new gear dancing threw my head lol.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?
    • A gripped Canon 50D,
    • 50mm f/1.4, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM,
    • 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM,
    • Kenko 25mm C-AF extention tube,
    • pixal opas wireless flash triggers,
    • Canon 430EX II,
    • Neewer LED flash ring,
    • Smith Victor CF5 Carbon Fiber Tripod & BH-5 ball head,
    • ...........and some Impact lighting & umbrellas.

(I'm hoping to pick up a 1Ds MK II, 17-40mm f/4L USM & 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II this year)

I use Lightroom 3.6 and Adobe PhotoShop CS5 for my PP & editing.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I'm not a newbee but I'm defenitly not a pro. I've got some skills but I'm still learning everyday.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I can only imagine... and I hope to own at least two.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I would like to think so. I have a few friends that are into photography that I am able to help and guide.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

oh yeah, for sure. The image is yours to mold threw the angle you shoot at, how you choose to light it, and of coarse the cameras settings have a major outcome on the image.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

I'm not shy but I don't go out of the way to be in front of someone elses camera.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Don't go out and break the bank or go into debit to buy the top gear available to impress everyone.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

This one was taken by my son with my camera on full manual. It's special because it was father son time together having fun.

This shot is one of my first macro shots. It's special to me because it's of my father-in-laws movado left to my wife when her father lost his battle with cancer

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

All my friends seam to think I do a great impersonation of Jim Carry's Saturday Night live character Fire Marshal Bill

Thank you, again, for taking part in 'In conversation with .......'

Glad to be a part of, in conversation with. I think it's great to have a way for members of the forum to get a more in depth look at each other.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Chris

Re: In conversation with ........... Rob Douglas

Nice to meet you! We have a number of things in common and Ithink your stills are particularly nice.
    Do you have a dedicated studio set or a tent or?

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Thanks Chris. I don't have a dedicated studio as of right no. I had plans turn a spare room into a studio but had to use it for other things right now.
    I mostly work off my desk or kitchen table with black/white backgrounds for bigger setups or I'll go with a few sheets of black/white foam poster board for smaller stuff along with my lighting/flashes and umbrellas.

Real Name
    Mal

Great getting to know you better Rob. With all those hobbies, how on earth do you fit in photography?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

It is great to get to know you better! Thank you for sharing with us.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    Great getting to know you better Rob. With all those hobbies, how on earth do you fit in photography?
    That's easy, I photography them

Thanks Frank.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    That's easy, I photography them
    Ah - that's how you do it! I haven't figured out how to carry my camera around with me on the golf course when I'm walking just yet...

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Get a holster and attach it to your golf bag there are some good shots to be captured on the green I would imagine. How does your camera do in high speed continuos mode? Maybe fire off bursts of guys as they drive or put? See what I mean about thinking too much... It's like I look at the world threw a viewfinder :P

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    Maybe fire off bursts of guys as they drive or put?
    Not sure I'd like to be around to hear their reaction if you started firing off a burst just at the top of the swing, or just as they pull the putter head back!!

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Not sure I'd like to be around to hear their reaction if you started firing off a burst just at the top of the swing, or just as they pull the putter head back!!
    I think I'd end up with a golf club around my neck and my camera in the nearest lake. I might have to see what "Quiet mode" is like!

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Haha, you might be right Donald. I know the clunk of my shutter is music to "my" ears but a golfer might not find it so appealing :P wouldn't want him swinging at me lol

Real Name
    Frank Miller

To the golfer, it could sound something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PovspE6IVg

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I love those videos.