Thread: Tree Fungus

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Tree Fungus

While I was out in the woods yesterday I came upon some tree fungus. I'm not happy with how the background came out - too busy, but there is no way to get any more separation between the fungus and the tree!

Tree Fungus

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Tree Fungus

Frank,

I always see tree fungi and wish I could manage a decent shot of them. I've tried many times and have never come up with anything. If you come up with any secrets, be sure to let me know!

- Bill

Real Name
    Toby Leeson

This one isn't bad. Can you shoot it from the side, so there is something besides the tree as background?

I like it, its like flowing waves of Fungi, I am not seeing a better angle, did you consider something in post processing like:

Tree Fungus

It doesnt clear up all of it but I think it focus's on the Fungus more, perhaps add the desat background and a Gaussian blur?

IMHO
    Ryo

Real Name
    Chris

No need to lose the background, nor really to do too much desaturation. I quick selected the fungi, feathered the edge, inversed the selection, then did a B&W layer adjustment, sucking down all the sliders to the left, the blue the most and leaving the yellow almost neutral. Using a blend mode of luminosity, I blended the two images together.

Lastly, I reselected the fungi and did a levels and curves adjustment to perk up the color a tad. I did recrop.

Tree Fungus

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Fungus on trees... so difficult to get the right composition. This is better than what I have come up with to date. My best was stacked macro effort though it still lacked a bit of inspiration and barely got saved.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I have tried over 200 times to get decent fungus pictures - so far, I haven't gotten any that are worth posting.....
    I just keep trying until I get one right.
    Frank, yours looks pretty good to me.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Frank,

I always see tree fungi and wish I could manage a decent shot of them. I've tried many times and have never come up with anything. If you come up with any secrets, be sure to let me know!

- Bill
    Hi Bill, I'm not sure if I can help as this is a new photo subject for me. It was an overcast day and I took a focus stack of 4 images and merged them similar to post #31 in Project 52 by Frank Miller. Other than that, I used Topaz Adjust to bring out the color and patterns a bit. Hope this gives you something to go on. If you would like to post some of your fungus images, I'm sure there are folks with a lot more experience than I that can help both of us!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Tobman View Post
    This one isn't bad. Can you shoot it from the side, so there is something besides the tree as background?
    Hi Toby! Thank you for viewinf and commentling. Yes, and I tried that with another image I just posted at The Trunk. It does seem to help but it also gives a different look.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    I like it, its like flowing waves of Fungi, I am not seeing a better angle, did you consider something in post processing like:

Tree Fungus

It doesnt clear up all of it but I think it focus's on the Fungus more, perhaps add the desat background and a Gaussian blur?

IMHO
    Ryo
    Hi Ryo! Thank you for taking the time to edit the image. I hadn't thought about that approach. Perhaps something that subdues the background without losing all the color would work?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    No need to lose the background, nor really to do too much desaturation. I quick selected the fungi, feathered the edge, inversed the selection, then did a B&W layer adjustment, sucking down all the sliders to the left, the blue the most and leaving the yellow almost neutral. Using a blend mode of luminosity, I blended the two images together.

Lastly, I reselected the fungi and did a levels and curves adjustment to perk up the color a tad. I did recrop.

Tree Fungus
    That looks very interesting, Chris. I'm going to play with that technique and see how I get along. Although it is more vibrant than real life, it certainly is interesting to explore and definitely has the separation from the background I was hoping to see. Thanks for the effort. I like it!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks Scott and Kris! It looks like Chris may have some good ideas for dealing with this subject.